Re: Don Blanding in Carmel, 1944; DB's mother in Hawaii 1917

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
      Hello, Keith ...

      Thanks for the info ...what is your source? Do you know exactly
      where DB was living in Carmel?

      I'm looking forward to having my postcard friend jot down some of her
      memories of DB in Carmel. Since she visited his home, there's a
      chance she may have the address.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
        Cadia,

        We all discussed this about 2-3 years ago, so I'll have to go
        through my notes from then. Tom, didn't we establish the fact that
        Don stayed in the house in '44 that is now the Vagabond's House Inn
        in Carmel? I was told the famous profile photograph of Don on the
        typewriter was taken in Carmel in '44.

        I think I have some Blanding columns from 1944 in the Carmel Pine
        Cone and a few letters sent from that period, from a PO Box. I'll
        try and dig them up this week.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
          Cadia,

          I did a search on this website and came up with the following
          message from Jim Whiteley in Aug. 2000:

          In a letter to Lucille Henderson, August 10, 1944 (the return address
          is Drawer U, Carmel, Calif.) Don mentions Vagabond's House:

          Helen Spencer is carrying on the business, but Bob has been in
          the Army, mostly at Camp Hulen down near the Gulf (and is it hot and
          muggy THERE), and very homesick. I live around the corner from what
          was Vagabond's House. Helen has made it over to suit them..which is
          right and proper, but it is not remotely my Vagabond's House any
          longer..but I never did do any regretting. It served its purpose,
          and I often go in and out of the house quite forgetting that it was
          ever mine. We never really own anything anyhow, and the sooner we
          learn that the better off we'll be, especially in human relations.
          There's a horrible murder case pending here right now , due to
          possessiveness of a human life.

          -----

          I also just dug up an article from the Monterey Peninsula Herald on
          March 2, 1944:

          DON BLANDING IS BACK IN CARMEL -- AND VERY GLAD OF IT

          The article indicated that he was back to stay, indefinately (or at
          least for a few months.) I'll see what other info I have in my files.

          Keith
        • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
            When I was comparing the famous photo of Don at the typewriter I was looking at the window behind him and the structure of room #5 of the Vagabond House Inn and it looks remarkably similar to this day to the image in this photo. I decided it must have been taken in this room after looking at everything I could. The current Pine Cone Reporter, Margo, also said it looked remarkably similar. She took several photo's toward the window with me sitting in the approximate location of DB, but it is at best an educated guess. The photo appears in his 1950 book, A Grand Time Living. It would be interesting to know the name of the photographer, that might help date the photo etc. I'm looking through my Pine Cone articles and the scrapbook I own to see if I can put better dates on this. Don came in and out of Carmel regularly to visit friends and promote his newest book. I don't believe he ever owned another house in Carmel after selling to the Spencers. DB was definetely with EHG during this time and she also frequented Carmel. I was told by a Mrs. Brown (in her 90's now), previous owner of the Vagabond House Inn that EHG and DB were quite an item in Carmel and that they frequently stayed at the Vagabond House Inn. But, she owned it in the early 50's not the 40's. The Inn is not too far from Don's Vagabond House and could qualify as being "right around the corner". I'm not so certain that EHG and DB would have been so friendly in 1944 as to stay in the same room. I sort of doubt that. Thats all I know of, coming off the top of my head right now.