blanding linoblocks

  • steve johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
      Hello

      I have an interest in Mr Blanding from his friendship with Orre Nobles. Nobles was an interesting character who among other things is know for being voted favorite teacher at Ballard Hi School (Seattle) at 100 year anniversary, world traveler, artist, owner of Olympus Manor on Hood Canal in Wa., rug designer and friend of the famous. That list includes along with Blanding, Upton Close (illustrated book for him) Mark Tobey and Gene Tunney, world undefeated boxing champ. Don stayed with Orre on a few different which is documented in book about Nobles. Olympus manor burnt to the ground in 1952 however many items were spared having been stored in his studio away from the main house. I recently acquired those contents which included a number of wood, metal and lino blocks. A number of artist were in residence there and it was common for visitors to carve blocks themselves. There are a few of a cartoon character I can't attribute to anyone else and Blanding did draw for the Star Advertiser
      in Honolulu I know. Do you have any of his cartoon copy? I noticed a gentleman though he might have some wood blocks and I may have some of those answers albeit we're uncertain at this time. Could you assist me in my research?

      Thanks

      Steve Johnson

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 13, 2004
        Reply to Steve Johnson

        A surprise to read your message this morning. Orre Nobles was my uncle.
        Having spent much of my childhood on the canal and being interested in family
        history I would like to trade info with you. My interest in DB was, of course,
        developed from being around Orre.

        Please contact me and lets see what we can share

        Carol Schneider

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 28, 2005
          I have just spent a pleasant hour reading much of the small book by
          Erna Tilley, "In Remembrance of Orre Nelson Nobles, 1994-1967, and the
          Paths of Friendship." It was privately printed about 1970 or 1971.

          Don Blanding is mentioned often in this charming memoire, which has
          given me some new leads to follow. I think some photos of Orre
          Nobles, including one of Erna and DB at Olympus Manor, are in a
          collection at the University of Washington.

          Two copies of Ms. Tilley's book is available at the downtown Seattle
          Public Library (Floors 8 and 10) and at the Tacoma Public Library in
          the Northwest Collection.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 28, 2005
            Great little book isn't it. Keith sent me a copy of his to read and I have
            been looking to by one ever since. Will you be able to get copies of the U
            of W photos for our files?

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
              Cadia,

              I have photocopies of the UW photos. I couldn't afford digital scans
              of the photos. I will dig up the one of Don and post it to the files
              section.

              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2006
                Hello, all ...

                The small book by Erna Tilley, "In Remembrance of Orre Nelson Nobles,
                1894-1967, and the Paths of Friendship," privately printed about 1970
                or 1971 is a good resource on both Orre Nobles and DB.

                In a message here last June, I mentioned that some photos of Orre
                Nobles, including one of Erna and DB at Olympus Manor, may be in a
                collection at the University of Washington. This is true. The
                collection, apparently donated by Erna Tilley, contains 12 photos
                from c. 1920 to 1950. A biographical note reads in part:

                "During the early 1920s, he and his family created Olympus Manor, a
                successful artist colony located on the shore of Hood Canal at Union
                [Mason County] where painters, musicians, writers, sculptors and
                dancers gathered to pursue their creative aspirations. Nobles
                designed a grand music room in 1923 in order to enlarge the family
                house. [This music room opened in the summer of 1925.]

                The photo of DB with Erna Tilley was taken about 1935.

                There's some question as to Nobles' dates of birth and death. The
                bio note states that he was born in Minnesota on April 18, 1894, and
                died in Seattle at his home Windy Cliff on December 14, 1967.
                However, the SSDI gives his DOB as April 18, 1895, and his DOD as
                December 15.

                ~~Cadia
              • SSchnei548@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , May 4, 2006
                  Cadia - I can confirm that April 18, 1894 is the correct DOB of Orre Nobles.
                  I have some of his diaries where he writes, such as on his 20th birthday,
                  what his thoughts are for the future, etc. The Nobles family genecology also
                  lists April 18, 1984 as his DOB. (Also his obit in the Mason County paper was
                  incorrect in listing his age as 72).

                  As to the date of death - the confusion, I believe is that he was found,
                  after not being able to reach him, on the 15th but probably died on the 14th.

                  Hope this helps - Carol

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 4, 2006
                    Carol ...

                    Thanks for confirming Orre's DOB as April 18, 1894. The only place I
                    have seen 1895 is the Social Security Death Index. Perhaps you would
                    like to append a note on that website to correct the year. It's
                    possible that incorrect information was provided on the death
                    certificate, or that it's just a typo on the website. It happens!