Woodblock mystery continues

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      On a lark, I typed in Earl Washington Woodblocks and came up with numerous hits. It is interesting to note that Earl Washington, Sr, was a rather famous woodblock carver. I've emailed several sites for info as to any connections to Don Blanding. Earl died in 1952 and seemed prominent in the 30's and 40's which was DB's hayday also. Many of the sites however, were devoted to possible fraud by someone claiming to be Earl's grandson. The seller on Ebay says he bought the 9 blocks he owns from Earl Washingtons grandson. So, it is now suspect that the blocks are real and may just be new carvings by the guy claiming to be Earl Sr., grandson. I have emailed the Ebay seller with this info and the website I visited. I suppose the only way to know if the blocks are real is to have an expert look at the print in DB's Today is Here book and then make a copy of it for comparison. However, I agree with Mr. Klein that the printing business in 1946 was advanced beyond the woodblock process and that the blocks though nicely carved would not have been used for printing purposes. Nevertheless, they are interesting and if we came up with some connection between Earl Washington and DB, then I'd have to step back a bit and think they might have been carved in "honor of" DB. I do doubt this however. I'm just trying to stay open to any possibility. I carefully went through Today is Here and I see no reference to Earl Washington and I think it would have been there if Earl had done anything for DB. I'm now going through all books after 1946 to see if Earl Washington is mentioned anywhere. Just thought I'd update y'all on my ongoing saga of woodblocks. I would think that Keith in all his sluething would have connected that name to DB if there was one, but who knows what ole DB did and who he knew.....tj
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
        tj

        After reading your last post I also did a little searching on Earl
        Washington's grandson and he is definately a very shady character.
        For years, he has made a very good living forging prints by his
        grandfather, as well as other well-known artists. He is banned from
        selling on ebay and the FBI has had an open case on him for awhile.
        He even got caught selling forgories of Rockwell Kent's work...so
        its not that much of a stretch to presume that he may have forged
        Don Blanding, a person long associated with Rockwell Kent through
        Vernonware designs (although Don was not as famous as Rockwell.)

        I would like to get Michael Pfeffer involved in this discussion,
        because if I'm not mistaken, Michael bought a whole collection of
        Blanding woodblocks from an individual a few years ago, and he might
        be able to shed some light on things.

        Michael are you out there?