S.F. Passenger Lists and woodblocks

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
      Very observant Cadia. I've known about Frederick E. Emmons, and his
      two authoratative books on Ocean Liners, for a number of years. He
      has one on Atlantic liners, and one on Pacific liners. I
      occasionally type in my last name on ebay searches, and often come
      up with one of his volumes.

      The other prominent Emmons who comes up in Hawaii-related seaches is
      General Delos C. Emmons, who took over at Pearl Harbor ten days
      after the bombing.

      I'm with you all on the wood carving issue. I've talked with a
      number of folks over the last few years who have obtained caches of
      woodcarvings which represent Blanding artwork. Since his books were
      reproduced using modern lithographic methods, I doubt the blocks
      were used to reproduce any of his books (at least the later ones
      anyway.)

      It's possible Don made some blocks himself, or hired someone to make
      them, if he was producing prints as gifts for close friends, but it
      seems he usually used local printshops for such matters and didn't
      really have the time for such laborous activities, what with his
      rigorous lecture schedule and other commitments.

      I think the blocks are copies made by other artists for their own
      purposes, much like the modern rubber stamp companies are using
      Don's artwork in their inventory of stamp designs.