San Francisco Passenger Lists on Ancestry.com

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2004
      A new service on Ancestry...unfortunately, I'm not a subscriber any
      more, so I can't delve any deeper than this:

      Don Blanding, Dec 1925, Honolulu, Hawaii, Manoa
      Don Blanding, Sep 1939, Honolulu, Hawaii USA, Honolulu Clipper
      Don Blanding, Feb 1940, Honolulu, Hawaii, Philippine Clipper
      Ida Blanding, Oct 1917, Honolulu, Hawaii, Wilhelmina

      Cadia, did we know that Ida visited Don back in 1917? It would have
      been a couple of months before he joined the army.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
        Here's a look at the S.S. Wilhelmina, on which Ida returned to San
        Francisco in October 1917:

        http://www.greatships.net/wilhelmina.html

        That may have been one of the ship's last sailings before becoming a
        troopship!

        Note, also, the attribution ... talk about serendipity!

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
          Very observant Cadia. I've known about Frederick E. Emmons, and his
          two authoratative books on Ocean Liners, for a number of years. He
          has one on Atlantic liners, and one on Pacific liners. I
          occasionally type in my last name on ebay searches, and often come
          up with one of his volumes.

          The other prominent Emmons who comes up in Hawaii-related seaches is
          General Delos C. Emmons, who took over at Pearl Harbor ten days
          after the bombing.

          I'm with you all on the wood carving issue. I've talked with a
          number of folks over the last few years who have obtained caches of
          woodcarvings which represent Blanding artwork. Since his books were
          reproduced using modern lithographic methods, I doubt the blocks
          were used to reproduce any of his books (at least the later ones
          anyway.)

          It's possible Don made some blocks himself, or hired someone to make
          them, if he was producing prints as gifts for close friends, but it
          seems he usually used local printshops for such matters and didn't
          really have the time for such laborous activities, what with his
          rigorous lecture schedule and other commitments.

          I think the blocks are copies made by other artists for their own
          purposes, much like the modern rubber stamp companies are using
          Don's artwork in their inventory of stamp designs.