[aloha-donblanding] Hawaiian Music

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2000
      Hi,

      I've just added a folder to the Links section called Hawaiian Music.
      So far, it contains just one album of slack key guitar by Keola Beamer,
      but I hope to add more music as time permits.

      Please feel free to add other online Hawaiian music to this folder.
      Meanwhile, fire up Real Player, connect to Beamer, and enjoy!

      ~~Cadia
    • modern@hialoha.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
        Hello!

        I'm not a regular member of this group, but
        I've been reading the interesting posts with
        great interest, plus I live in Hawaii, which
        makes the posts all the more interesting!

        I'm completing a manuscript for a book on
        American Dinnerware, and I'd be honored to
        have group members provide some detailed
        background information about Blanding's
        work with Vernon Kilns in California.

        Anyone have specific background
        information/insight about how he formed an
        alliance with Vernon? I'm aware of the
        patterns....looking for information about his
        venture into the dinnerware business.

        Mahalo. Please feel free to contact me
        privately, too:

        mailto:modern@...

        Kathryn Wiese Gibson
        Retrospective Modern Design
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2000
          Kathryn,

          Mr. Faye Bennison of Vernon Kilns sought out Don Blanding to provide
          dinnerware designs. He was the first contributor to the "Famous
          Artists" series that later included Rockwell Kent and Walt Disney
          Studios. This is well-documented in Maxine Nelson's
          book, "Collectible Vernon Kilns" published in 1994 but now out of
          print.

          You're certainly welsome to join our group and have access to the
          rest of the site.