Items

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2004
      Just bought some ebay items of DB's that I liked. Maybe Keith can enlighten me as to who "Harold" was. I have two original letters to Harold from DB. The first one has two "new" poems by DB 'A Soldier Asks' and 'Veteran Heart'. Then in DB's handwriting he relates that these are new poems and that he has just enlisted again after 25 years and signs it "Private Don".
      The second letter is again to Harold and has a poem dedicated to an enlisted mans daughter named Gail and the poem he wrote is titled "For Gail". I recall this poem from some other research somewhere. He again signs it Private Don. At the bottom of each letter he addresses it:

      Private Donald B. Blanding
      "A" company T-177
      2nd Provisional, M.P. B.n.
      Fort Ontario, New York

      In this package was also an original photo of DB from Hawaii when DB must have been in his twenties. He appears in a loin cloth stooping down with his feet on a rock in the surf. Quite a picture of studdly youth. On the back of the photo is an enscription to Harold again. Interesting stuff to see.......tj