Blanding in the Los Angeles Times

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21 8:02 PM
      Cadia, and any interested members of the group,

      I just discovered a few days ago that through my library at work I
      have access to Proquest's digitized Los Angeles Times (1881-1984). I
      had no idea! It's completely searchable and there are over three
      hundred references to Don that I see so far. The first sign of our
      poet is in early 1926. I'll summarize a few of the mentions, or
      related items, from that year:

      Feb 4, 1926 - The Wampas Frolic is held at the new Shrine Civic
      Auditorium. 6500 attend to view the "unveiling" of the thirteen
      newly arrived Wampas Stars of 1926: Dolores Costello, Janet Gaynor,
      Dolores Del Rio, Vera Reynolds, Mary Brian, Fay Wray, Sally O'Neill,
      Joan Crawford, Mary Astor, Sally Long, Joyce Compton, Marcoline Day
      and Edna Marian. (I'd say just a few of these stars went on to make
      it big.) No mention of Blanding at all...I don't think he was part
      of the entertainment.

      March 7, 1926 - Don appeared at an arty gathering of eighty people
      at the Monteith Studio. The program included a variety of music and
      readings, including poetry by Blanding.

      April 5, 1926 - Article about Don being commissioned by Cecil De
      Mille to write a story to serve as a starring vehicle for Leatrice
      Joy.

      April 26, 1926 - The Wampas has a get-to-gether at the Writer's Club
      to view the premier of a new play. Don also does some "snappy
      readings" as they called it (could this be the infamous debut of his
      Virgin of Waikiki?)

      May 23, 1926 - Marjorie Chapin performs the song Ala Moana at the
      Artland Club, with baritone Keaumoku Louis and Adolf Tandler's
      Symphony Orchestra. Lyrics by Don Blanding.

      June 10, 1926 - Don is the featured entertainment for
      the "governors" morning at the Breakfast Club.

      I also found tons of mentions of others from Don's circle of friends.

      Bev, I also printed out a number of articles by or about Armine Von
      Tempski which I will mail to you this week.

      --Keith
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21 11:57 PM
        Oh thanks Keith,

        I was just about to ask you about Armine and Al Ball in the L A Times.

        Mahalo,

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12964i7fr/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=grou
        ps/S=1705020083:HM/EXP=1090551722/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companio
        n.yahoo.com>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22 10:12 AM
          Hi, Keith ...

          Ain't Proquest wonderful?

          Since you mentioned it to me more than a year ago, I'm surprised you
          had not discovered that the Los Angeles Times is available to
          virtually anyone with access to a computer and a major library's
          catalog.

          At the time, the Seattle library made Proquest available only at its
          branches, but more recently I've been able to obtain articles from
          the New York Times and was just about to start on the Los Angeles
          Times. I sure wish the Honolulu and Seattle papers were part of the
          program!

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22 5:10 PM
            Phooey! The Seattle library no longer lists the Los Angeles Times
            archives (before 1985) as one of the "coming soon" databases.

            Back to the drawings boards ...