April-June 1954 Honolulu Star-Bulletin columns

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2004
      Hello, everyone!

      Just wanted you let you know that I've added more of DB's Star-
      Bulletin columns to

      Files: Publications: Honolulu Star-Bulletin: 1954 Columns

      These are from April through June and may also be viewed at

      http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-aloha54-2.html

      A recent 5-week temp assignment didn't give me a whole lot to do, so
      I had plenty of time to transcribe columns and other material. Just
      now I'm preparing for a trip to Omaha later this week, followed by a
      trip to Portland, so final work on the January-March and July-
      September 1954 columns may have to wait until I return.

      One of the great delights in transcribing DB's writing is that I can
      virtually feel his hands on a typewriter keyboard. The cadence of
      the words, the break for a paragraph, the very selection of each word
      is so exciting to experience.

      Part way through working on the 1954 batch, it dawned on me that the
      calendars for both 1954 and 2004 are identical! Following DB's
      thoughts and feelings week by week, to the day, from 50 years ago
      absolutely gives me the shivers!

      It's especially interesting to read his comments on current events,
      and the lessons that might be learned from them. As I typed, I
      could not help wondering what DB would think of today's world. Would
      he approve? Would he make some of the same observations and give the
      same advice? Would he despair of humankind ever getting it right?

      I've also been working on columns from September-December 1956.

      I hope you'll read and enjoy . . . and savor . . . these columns.
      Try reading them aloud; you'll soon discover that DB is right there,
      reading over your shoulder!