Re: Dead Poets Society

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 24, 2004
      Karen, Bev & tj

      I'm all too familiar with California's housing prices. I lived in
      Santa Cruz for four years...and San Diego for almost a year. I love
      it there, but unless I win the lottery, I just don't see it
      happening. I'm a graphic designer by trade, and you CAN make good
      money if you get into the right advertising agency or have a highly
      marketable specialty...but I tend to like working at colleges, which
      pay far less than in the more competitive markets. I just prefer the
      academic atmosphere to the cut-throat business world.

      Incidentally, when we were in Oregon I visited a bookstore in
      Corvallis which had one of the largest collections of Hawaiiana I
      have ever seen. They had about six long shelves of books about
      Hawaii, fiction & non-fiction, and happened to have a good thirty
      Blanding books. They even had Flowers of the Rainbow ($300).

      Powell's Books in Portland also had a dozen Blandings.

      Keith
    • Tom Harrington
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 24, 2004
        Sorry Karen, but I would have to beg to differ with you on the timber
        industry in Northern California. While there are areas that are depressed,
        my husband is a registered professional forester here and there are LOTS of
        trees. His company (a private timber company-not government), plants at
        least 5 trees for each tree harvested. So in our area timber reigns king.
        There are still houses to be found for the $150-250,00 price range, but they
        are becoming fewer and far between because of all the "equity immigrants"
        moving up from the bay area. We do have small manufacturing and industry
        moving in because of the lower costs of doing business.

        Gayle - in the Redding, CA area