Re: Dead Poets Society

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 23 1:47 PM
      Welcome back tj,

      Yes, it has been a little quiet around here. The Carmel Blanding book idea sounds
      interesting...I wish you luck putting that together.

      My book has stalled a bit of late...too much time spent on fatherhood, work, and getting
      the house fixed up for a possible resale next year. I try and work on Blanding when I can,
      but haven't had any big leaps for awhile. Still some research to do in Hawaii, as Bev
      mentioned, but I'm trying to write the chapters in which I already have adequate material
      until I can afford a jaunt to the islands. This is one of the businest periods of my life, so
      the research and writing has had to take a back seat to everything else.

      The book won't be as expansive as you might think tj...I'm very aware that too many
      details would bog down the story, and bore readers...but I'm always looking for the small
      details nonetheless as they often lead to major breakthroughs. I'm hoping for a 250-300
      page book which summarizes the important phases of his life (Lawton, Chicago, Taos,
      Carmel, Florida, New York and Hollywood) with a larger focus on his days in Honolulu,
      which he is of course most associated with.

      Vanessa and I hope to relocate from Colorado to the west coast next year, possibly
      Oregon. We went there last month for a week and really liked Portland and Corvallis. The
      only thing that bothers us is the high unemployment rate there. We also might consider
      Northern California, but are not sure if we can afford the high cost of living there.

      The east coast is a slim possibility too...maybe Florida or North Carolina. Any advice from
      the group?

      Keith
    • Karen Cotter
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 23 3:30 PM
        Hey, it would be nice to have you on the West Coast! We could have a
        regular Blanding Jamboree! As far as conditions here - employment is
        nonexistant for the most part in Oregon. I don't know what you do besides
        your Blanding research so can't be of much help. From what I hear, Portland
        is doing pretty well, job-wise but any of the pretty little towns are bleak
        as far as economy unless you can do something to make money from home vis a
        vis your computer. Once you get into CA, the price of homes soars and the
        far northern part of CA down to San Francisco is in a terrible economic
        slump. They depended on the timber industry and the big trees are all gone
        except for what has been put into parks. San Francisco's cost of living is
        completely out of sight for anyone not in the million-dollar bracket and the
        Silicon Valley went bust 10 years ago and everyone is on the dole there. As
        I said, I don't know what you and Vanessa do so I can't really be specific.
        The cost of living is mind-blowing. Here in the plain old San Fernando
        Valley a one bedroom apt. - nothing fancy - rents for $1,200+ per month and
        they want first, last and one month's security deposit. The median price of
        an ordinary little house in CA is $450,000 - my little 2 bedroom, 1 bath on
        a large lot would bring $600,000 if I sold it today. Crazy!!!!

        You can get cheap housing in Bakersfield but I sure wouldn't leave Colorado
        for Bakersfield! The San Diego area is also booming price-wise. My old
        Daddy told me to get a lot while I was young. (I thought he meant real
        estate, ha ha) I'm glad I bought a couple of places - it was good advice.
        Karen

      • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 23 7:27 PM
          Mr. Keith: I've travelled up the coast of Oregon several times in the last few years. I've looked at some homesites and homes that interested me, primarily due to the economics of housing in Oregon vs California. I could sell here and pay cash there, but then what have I got? Lots of people making these decisions today. Unemployment is rampant in Oregon. It's difficult to remain in business there. Ole Db traveled up through Bend area which I haven't visited yet. Much the same is true of Arizona and Nevada areas. So, where to locate, where to locate. Once you pull up stakes in California, Its difficult to buy back into the market due to the escalating prices of homes here. Good if you have one, but if not, its difficult to qualify for loans, etc. Anyway Keith, this is a little off the Blanding site requirements, but had to respond some to your questions. Sorry Cadia....will email privately from now on......tj

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 23 8:10 PM
            They are all right, but we would love to have you closer.

            Could you do your graphic art at someplace like the Huntington? Or one of
            the schools out here like your doing there?

[...]

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 24 4:52 AM
              Karen, Bev & tj

              I'm all too familiar with California's housing prices. I lived in
              Santa Cruz for four years...and San Diego for almost a year. I love
              it there, but unless I win the lottery, I just don't see it
              happening. I'm a graphic designer by trade, and you CAN make good
              money if you get into the right advertising agency or have a highly
              marketable specialty...but I tend to like working at colleges, which
              pay far less than in the more competitive markets. I just prefer the
              academic atmosphere to the cut-throat business world.

              Incidentally, when we were in Oregon I visited a bookstore in
              Corvallis which had one of the largest collections of Hawaiiana I
              have ever seen. They had about six long shelves of books about
              Hawaii, fiction & non-fiction, and happened to have a good thirty
              Blanding books. They even had Flowers of the Rainbow ($300).

              Powell's Books in Portland also had a dozen Blandings.

              Keith
            • Tom Harrington
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 24 9:46 PM
                Sorry Karen, but I would have to beg to differ with you on the timber
                industry in Northern California. While there are areas that are depressed,
                my husband is a registered professional forester here and there are LOTS of
                trees. His company (a private timber company-not government), plants at
                least 5 trees for each tree harvested. So in our area timber reigns king.
                There are still houses to be found for the $150-250,00 price range, but they
                are becoming fewer and far between because of all the "equity immigrants"
                moving up from the bay area. We do have small manufacturing and industry
                moving in because of the lower costs of doing business.

                Gayle - in the Redding, CA area