Don Blanding Bio....Keith

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22, 2004
      Now you have a challenge Keith.

      If your like me, you have a lot of research in Hawaii left to do.

    • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 22, 2004
        Yes Bev, I remember Al landy. He attended the grand opening of my show and was just amazed at what he fell into with the house. It was too bad he had already remodeled it before he knew about DB. I have some old photo's of what I think is the Carmel Vagabond House circa 1938. They were in the scrapbook that I found at the Vagabond House Inn. I was going to contact Al and show him the photo's. I thought he might really like to see them. Presently, I am compiling all the Carmel Pine Cone Newspaper articles from/about DB from 1936-1957. I have promised copies of that historical binder to the Vagabond House Inn, the Carmel Pine Cone and the Historical Library. They all wanted copies of the research. I have some requests to put together a local Carmel book on DB and his life and times there. Some think it would sell good in Carmel/Monterey. My problem is that I'm gone too much right now and can't focus on the task of writing. I'm also not as detail oriented as Keith and so my book plan would not be as expansive as Keith might envision. I guess I'll have to break down and buy a damn laptop and take it with me. That kind of book would be a good way to see what the overall market would be for a bigger book like Keith is doing. Well, more thinking to do before I hit the road in June again.......aloha....tj

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2004
          * Yes Bev, I remember Al landy. He attended the grand opening of my
          show and was just amazed at what he fell into with the house. It was too bad
          he had already remodeled it before he knew about DB. I have some old photo's
          of what I think is the Carmel Vagabond House circa 1938. They were in the
          scrapbook that I found at the Vagabond House Inn. I was going to contact Al
          and show him the photo's. I thought he might really like to see them.

          Al would love to see those photos. He is a builder and cannot figure out
          how the house looked in Don’s time. He lives by Stanford and would love to
          see you if you are in the area.

        • mauibandb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 23, 2004
            So come visit yall

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 23, 2004
              Welcome back tj,

              Yes, it has been a little quiet around here. The Carmel Blanding book idea sounds
              interesting...I wish you luck putting that together.

              My book has stalled a bit of late...too much time spent on fatherhood, work, and getting
              the house fixed up for a possible resale next year. I try and work on Blanding when I can,
              but haven't had any big leaps for awhile. Still some research to do in Hawaii, as Bev
              mentioned, but I'm trying to write the chapters in which I already have adequate material
              until I can afford a jaunt to the islands. This is one of the businest periods of my life, so
              the research and writing has had to take a back seat to everything else.

              The book won't be as expansive as you might think tj...I'm very aware that too many
              details would bog down the story, and bore readers...but I'm always looking for the small
              details nonetheless as they often lead to major breakthroughs. I'm hoping for a 250-300
              page book which summarizes the important phases of his life (Lawton, Chicago, Taos,
              Carmel, Florida, New York and Hollywood) with a larger focus on his days in Honolulu,
              which he is of course most associated with.

              Vanessa and I hope to relocate from Colorado to the west coast next year, possibly
              Oregon. We went there last month for a week and really liked Portland and Corvallis. The
              only thing that bothers us is the high unemployment rate there. We also might consider
              Northern California, but are not sure if we can afford the high cost of living there.

              The east coast is a slim possibility too...maybe Florida or North Carolina. Any advice from
              the group?

              Keith
            • Karen Cotter
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 23, 2004
                Hey, it would be nice to have you on the West Coast! We could have a
                regular Blanding Jamboree! As far as conditions here - employment is
                nonexistant for the most part in Oregon. I don't know what you do besides
                your Blanding research so can't be of much help. From what I hear, Portland
                is doing pretty well, job-wise but any of the pretty little towns are bleak
                as far as economy unless you can do something to make money from home vis a
                vis your computer. Once you get into CA, the price of homes soars and the
                far northern part of CA down to San Francisco is in a terrible economic
                slump. They depended on the timber industry and the big trees are all gone
                except for what has been put into parks. San Francisco's cost of living is
                completely out of sight for anyone not in the million-dollar bracket and the
                Silicon Valley went bust 10 years ago and everyone is on the dole there. As
                I said, I don't know what you and Vanessa do so I can't really be specific.
                The cost of living is mind-blowing. Here in the plain old San Fernando
                Valley a one bedroom apt. - nothing fancy - rents for $1,200+ per month and
                they want first, last and one month's security deposit. The median price of
                an ordinary little house in CA is $450,000 - my little 2 bedroom, 1 bath on
                a large lot would bring $600,000 if I sold it today. Crazy!!!!

                You can get cheap housing in Bakersfield but I sure wouldn't leave Colorado
                for Bakersfield! The San Diego area is also booming price-wise. My old
                Daddy told me to get a lot while I was young. (I thought he meant real
                estate, ha ha) I'm glad I bought a couple of places - it was good advice.
                Karen

              • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 23, 2004
                  Mr. Keith: I've travelled up the coast of Oregon several times in the last few years. I've looked at some homesites and homes that interested me, primarily due to the economics of housing in Oregon vs California. I could sell here and pay cash there, but then what have I got? Lots of people making these decisions today. Unemployment is rampant in Oregon. It's difficult to remain in business there. Ole Db traveled up through Bend area which I haven't visited yet. Much the same is true of Arizona and Nevada areas. So, where to locate, where to locate. Once you pull up stakes in California, Its difficult to buy back into the market due to the escalating prices of homes here. Good if you have one, but if not, its difficult to qualify for loans, etc. Anyway Keith, this is a little off the Blanding site requirements, but had to respond some to your questions. Sorry Cadia....will email privately from now on......tj

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 23, 2004
                    They are all right, but we would love to have you closer.

                    Could you do your graphic art at someplace like the Huntington? Or one of
                    the schools out here like your doing there?

[...]

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 24, 2004
                      Karen, Bev & tj

                      I'm all too familiar with California's housing prices. I lived in
                      Santa Cruz for four years...and San Diego for almost a year. I love
                      it there, but unless I win the lottery, I just don't see it
                      happening. I'm a graphic designer by trade, and you CAN make good
                      money if you get into the right advertising agency or have a highly
                      marketable specialty...but I tend to like working at colleges, which
                      pay far less than in the more competitive markets. I just prefer the
                      academic atmosphere to the cut-throat business world.

                      Incidentally, when we were in Oregon I visited a bookstore in
                      Corvallis which had one of the largest collections of Hawaiiana I
                      have ever seen. They had about six long shelves of books about
                      Hawaii, fiction & non-fiction, and happened to have a good thirty
                      Blanding books. They even had Flowers of the Rainbow ($300).

                      Powell's Books in Portland also had a dozen Blandings.

                      Keith
                    • Tom Harrington
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 24, 2004
                        Sorry Karen, but I would have to beg to differ with you on the timber
                        industry in Northern California. While there are areas that are depressed,
                        my husband is a registered professional forester here and there are LOTS of
                        trees. His company (a private timber company-not government), plants at
                        least 5 trees for each tree harvested. So in our area timber reigns king.
                        There are still houses to be found for the $150-250,00 price range, but they
                        are becoming fewer and far between because of all the "equity immigrants"
                        moving up from the bay area. We do have small manufacturing and industry
                        moving in because of the lower costs of doing business.

                        Gayle - in the Redding, CA area