Dead Poets Society

  • tjmarkle2003
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22, 2004
      After 7 weeks on the road, I expected to come back to some interesting
      tidbits. Instead, I find the Dead Poets Society on line. What's up? In my
      travels, I found absolutely nothing new relating to DB. Not even Monterey/
      Carmel area turned up anything exciting for me. I have found that several
      "antique" stores in the Monterey area are cutting up old DB books and framing
      the book art and trying to pass them off as ligit.....so, buyer beware out there.
      Keith, I will dig up my Hayward material and continue on with it. Actually,
      I'm as interested in visiting my old campus as digging up the material for you.
      So, how's the book coming???? Other than that, the trip was exciting, going
      into Puerto Penasco Mexico for two weeks and now finding that I can go
      deeper into Mexico (250 miles further) to some other interesting areas will be
      exciting for next year. Good to be home and hug my DB collection one more
      time.......aloha...tj
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 22, 2004
        Welcome back TJ,

        Maybe now that you are back we’ll have some talking on this site. I
        received a copy of DB’s Carmel Pine Cone article about finding his house and
        sent it on to the present owner. You remember Al. He called and told me how
        much he loves Don’s house and that the Jan 21st ’38 article expresses his
        feelings about the house when he is in it. I thought you might like to know
        this.

      • mauibandb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2004
          Yeah Keith
          We are waiting for the book. We will take a case as soon as it is printed
          for our guest rooms.

          aloha
          Maui Tom

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22, 2004
            Now you have a challenge Keith.

            If your like me, you have a lot of research in Hawaii left to do.

          • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 22, 2004
              Yes Bev, I remember Al landy. He attended the grand opening of my show and was just amazed at what he fell into with the house. It was too bad he had already remodeled it before he knew about DB. I have some old photo's of what I think is the Carmel Vagabond House circa 1938. They were in the scrapbook that I found at the Vagabond House Inn. I was going to contact Al and show him the photo's. I thought he might really like to see them. Presently, I am compiling all the Carmel Pine Cone Newspaper articles from/about DB from 1936-1957. I have promised copies of that historical binder to the Vagabond House Inn, the Carmel Pine Cone and the Historical Library. They all wanted copies of the research. I have some requests to put together a local Carmel book on DB and his life and times there. Some think it would sell good in Carmel/Monterey. My problem is that I'm gone too much right now and can't focus on the task of writing. I'm also not as detail oriented as Keith and so my book plan would not be as expansive as Keith might envision. I guess I'll have to break down and buy a damn laptop and take it with me. That kind of book would be a good way to see what the overall market would be for a bigger book like Keith is doing. Well, more thinking to do before I hit the road in June again.......aloha....tj

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 22, 2004
                * Yes Bev, I remember Al landy. He attended the grand opening of my
                show and was just amazed at what he fell into with the house. It was too bad
                he had already remodeled it before he knew about DB. I have some old photo's
                of what I think is the Carmel Vagabond House circa 1938. They were in the
                scrapbook that I found at the Vagabond House Inn. I was going to contact Al
                and show him the photo's. I thought he might really like to see them.

                Al would love to see those photos. He is a builder and cannot figure out
                how the house looked in Don’s time. He lives by Stanford and would love to
                see you if you are in the area.

              • mauibandb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 23, 2004
                  So come visit yall

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 23, 2004
                    Welcome back tj,

                    Yes, it has been a little quiet around here. The Carmel Blanding book idea sounds
                    interesting...I wish you luck putting that together.

                    My book has stalled a bit of late...too much time spent on fatherhood, work, and getting
                    the house fixed up for a possible resale next year. I try and work on Blanding when I can,
                    but haven't had any big leaps for awhile. Still some research to do in Hawaii, as Bev
                    mentioned, but I'm trying to write the chapters in which I already have adequate material
                    until I can afford a jaunt to the islands. This is one of the businest periods of my life, so
                    the research and writing has had to take a back seat to everything else.

                    The book won't be as expansive as you might think tj...I'm very aware that too many
                    details would bog down the story, and bore readers...but I'm always looking for the small
                    details nonetheless as they often lead to major breakthroughs. I'm hoping for a 250-300
                    page book which summarizes the important phases of his life (Lawton, Chicago, Taos,
                    Carmel, Florida, New York and Hollywood) with a larger focus on his days in Honolulu,
                    which he is of course most associated with.

                    Vanessa and I hope to relocate from Colorado to the west coast next year, possibly
                    Oregon. We went there last month for a week and really liked Portland and Corvallis. The
                    only thing that bothers us is the high unemployment rate there. We also might consider
                    Northern California, but are not sure if we can afford the high cost of living there.

                    The east coast is a slim possibility too...maybe Florida or North Carolina. Any advice from
                    the group?

                    Keith
                  • Karen Cotter
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 23, 2004
                      Hey, it would be nice to have you on the West Coast! We could have a
                      regular Blanding Jamboree! As far as conditions here - employment is
                      nonexistant for the most part in Oregon. I don't know what you do besides
                      your Blanding research so can't be of much help. From what I hear, Portland
                      is doing pretty well, job-wise but any of the pretty little towns are bleak
                      as far as economy unless you can do something to make money from home vis a
                      vis your computer. Once you get into CA, the price of homes soars and the
                      far northern part of CA down to San Francisco is in a terrible economic
                      slump. They depended on the timber industry and the big trees are all gone
                      except for what has been put into parks. San Francisco's cost of living is
                      completely out of sight for anyone not in the million-dollar bracket and the
                      Silicon Valley went bust 10 years ago and everyone is on the dole there. As
                      I said, I don't know what you and Vanessa do so I can't really be specific.
                      The cost of living is mind-blowing. Here in the plain old San Fernando
                      Valley a one bedroom apt. - nothing fancy - rents for $1,200+ per month and
                      they want first, last and one month's security deposit. The median price of
                      an ordinary little house in CA is $450,000 - my little 2 bedroom, 1 bath on
                      a large lot would bring $600,000 if I sold it today. Crazy!!!!

                      You can get cheap housing in Bakersfield but I sure wouldn't leave Colorado
                      for Bakersfield! The San Diego area is also booming price-wise. My old
                      Daddy told me to get a lot while I was young. (I thought he meant real
                      estate, ha ha) I'm glad I bought a couple of places - it was good advice.
                      Karen

                    • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 23, 2004
                        Mr. Keith: I've travelled up the coast of Oregon several times in the last few years. I've looked at some homesites and homes that interested me, primarily due to the economics of housing in Oregon vs California. I could sell here and pay cash there, but then what have I got? Lots of people making these decisions today. Unemployment is rampant in Oregon. It's difficult to remain in business there. Ole Db traveled up through Bend area which I haven't visited yet. Much the same is true of Arizona and Nevada areas. So, where to locate, where to locate. Once you pull up stakes in California, Its difficult to buy back into the market due to the escalating prices of homes here. Good if you have one, but if not, its difficult to qualify for loans, etc. Anyway Keith, this is a little off the Blanding site requirements, but had to respond some to your questions. Sorry Cadia....will email privately from now on......tj

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 23, 2004
                          They are all right, but we would love to have you closer.

                          Could you do your graphic art at someplace like the Huntington? Or one of
                          the schools out here like your doing there?

[...]

                          _____

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 24, 2004
                            Karen, Bev & tj

                            I'm all too familiar with California's housing prices. I lived in
                            Santa Cruz for four years...and San Diego for almost a year. I love
                            it there, but unless I win the lottery, I just don't see it
                            happening. I'm a graphic designer by trade, and you CAN make good
                            money if you get into the right advertising agency or have a highly
                            marketable specialty...but I tend to like working at colleges, which
                            pay far less than in the more competitive markets. I just prefer the
                            academic atmosphere to the cut-throat business world.

                            Incidentally, when we were in Oregon I visited a bookstore in
                            Corvallis which had one of the largest collections of Hawaiiana I
                            have ever seen. They had about six long shelves of books about
                            Hawaii, fiction & non-fiction, and happened to have a good thirty
                            Blanding books. They even had Flowers of the Rainbow ($300).

                            Powell's Books in Portland also had a dozen Blandings.

                            Keith
                          • Tom Harrington
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 24, 2004
                              Sorry Karen, but I would have to beg to differ with you on the timber
                              industry in Northern California. While there are areas that are depressed,
                              my husband is a registered professional forester here and there are LOTS of
                              trees. His company (a private timber company-not government), plants at
                              least 5 trees for each tree harvested. So in our area timber reigns king.
                              There are still houses to be found for the $150-250,00 price range, but they
                              are becoming fewer and far between because of all the "equity immigrants"
                              moving up from the bay area. We do have small manufacturing and industry
                              moving in because of the lower costs of doing business.

                              Gayle - in the Redding, CA area