RE: [aloha-donblanding] Majel Claflin

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2004
      How Cool. Hope this turns out for you.

      From: keith2draw [mailto:keith2draw@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 2:15 PM
      To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Majel Claflin

      Hello all,

      After a few years of mostly fruitless searching for information on the artist
      Majel G.
      Claflin, who was at one time Blanding's fiance, I have some hopeful news.

      Several years ago I left a message on a genealogy forum asking for info on the
      artist,
      and on sunday a woman responded. Her grandmother took care of Majel's sister
      Bernice in her later years. Bernice was a longtime schoolteacher in the
      Claflin's
      hometown of Eaton Rapids, Michigan. When she died, some of her things were
      willed
      to the caretaker, which included Majel's portfolio, some journals, and letters
      between
      the two sisters.

      She has temporarily misplaced the journals and letters but is going to look in
      her
      storage unit when she gets a chance. In the portfolio she recently dug up are
      drawings, advertising samples, and copies of a daily cartoon she produced in
      the
      "Ripley's" vein. She also has a few pieces of tinwork around her house which
      Majel
      made. Apparently, Claflin traveled alone to Tunisia in 1928 to see examples of
      tin
      work first hand, and then studied with a tin master-craftsman in Sante Fe for
      number of years. She became known as the "tempestuous tinsmith of Taos," and
      was
      a WPA artist in the thirties.

      My contact remembers the journal describing in detail her Chicago Art
      Institute days,
      and memories of Sherwood Anderson, who lived in the same boarding house as Don
      and Majel around 1914. She also found a copy of Vagabond's House with a
      Blanding
      letter tucked inside from 1944.

      Somewhere in the storage unit are also newspaper articles about Majel, and an
      obituary. She was a heavy smoker, and her death was probably attributed to the
      fumes from her tinsmithing work. There was a photo of Majel's self portrait in
      the
      obit.

      I think she's going to give me all this stuff when she finds it, but I'm not
      positive yet.
      If she does, or if I at least get copies of everything, I hope to write an
      article about
      Majel for a Michigan and/or New Mexico publication.

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2004
        ATTA BOY Keith....never give up the spunglass ship! Sometimes things are meant to be. I hung in for almost 3 years before getting the Carmel box...persistance does pay off sometimes. Keep up the great work...tj