Re: [aloha-donblanding] Inez Ashdown...Aloha Kahoolawe

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
      Kila Kila O Haleakala? If that is it then it is a Maui Song. The Second
      verse is Kuahiwi nani O Maui.

      aloha
      Maui Tom

    • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
        Maui Tom (who's MauiBandB on AOL) wrote: >> Thanks Bob for your appreciation
        of the Mele. I am impressed with your sensitivity to the Hawaiian language
        living in Tennesee. Yes Kahoolawe's tie to Tahiti is the current that will take
        you directly there.<<

        Thanks for the kind words, Maui Tom. As most of you know, my only tie to Don
        Blanding is that his Stowaways in Paradise was one of the books that really
        shaped my childhood. Through this list I've found out who Don Blanding really
        was. I confess I don't resonate real well to his poetry - wish I'd encountered
        it when I was a lot younger - or could read it with a friend of mine who's a
        serious student of gay literature - he's walked me through some of the poetry of
        Mark Doty -

        I think we should republish Stowaways in Paradise - with all the notes we
        could write - with the Hawaiian place names spelled right in scriptio plena (how
        DO you say that in Hawaiian?) I scanned a page of the book a few years ago to
        see what the project would be like. The book is so simply and beautifully made
        that I'm not sure we could convey it.

        Then one or more of us would write a sequel - Mickey and Pua in WW II of
        course - a project worthy of a James Michener -

        An ambitious dream - but our reach should exceed our grasp, as the saying
        goes -

        Bob Richmond
        Knoxville TN

      • mauibandb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
          One of the best accessible sites of hawaiian music is http://huapala.org
          although I could not find Kila Kila O Haleakala. But I am not sure that is the
          name of the song. Perhaps Harry B Soria knows the proper name?

          aloha
          Maui Tom