Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Inez Ashdown Aloha Kahoolawe

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 2003
      Thanks Bob for your appreciation of the Mele. I am impressed with your
      sensitivity to the Hawaiian language living in Tennesee. Yes Kahoolawe's tie to
      Tahiti is the current that will take you directly there.

      aloha
      Maui Tom

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
        Aloha Kaho`olawe

        Inez Ashdown, Pilahi Paki & Irmgard Farden Aluli
        Dear Maui Tom and Richard,
        Mahalo for the song and the information. As you know Tom, I have been
        looking for the song by Inez who was Armine’s von Tempsky’s adopted sister. I
        will now be able to add it to my information on Inez. Mahalo.

        I have come across another song in my readings and wonder if it is truly a
        Maui song or a part of the fictional book. Have you heard of: Kilokilo o
        Haleakala.

        Happy Holidays and a wonderful New Year to everyone.

      • mauibandb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
          Kila Kila O Haleakala? If that is it then it is a Maui Song. The Second
          verse is Kuahiwi nani O Maui.

          aloha
          Maui Tom

        • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
            Maui Tom (who's MauiBandB on AOL) wrote: >> Thanks Bob for your appreciation
            of the Mele. I am impressed with your sensitivity to the Hawaiian language
            living in Tennesee. Yes Kahoolawe's tie to Tahiti is the current that will take
            you directly there.<<

            Thanks for the kind words, Maui Tom. As most of you know, my only tie to Don
            Blanding is that his Stowaways in Paradise was one of the books that really
            shaped my childhood. Through this list I've found out who Don Blanding really
            was. I confess I don't resonate real well to his poetry - wish I'd encountered
            it when I was a lot younger - or could read it with a friend of mine who's a
            serious student of gay literature - he's walked me through some of the poetry of
            Mark Doty -

            I think we should republish Stowaways in Paradise - with all the notes we
            could write - with the Hawaiian place names spelled right in scriptio plena (how
            DO you say that in Hawaiian?) I scanned a page of the book a few years ago to
            see what the project would be like. The book is so simply and beautifully made
            that I'm not sure we could convey it.

            Then one or more of us would write a sequel - Mickey and Pua in WW II of
            course - a project worthy of a James Michener -

            An ambitious dream - but our reach should exceed our grasp, as the saying
            goes -

            Bob Richmond
            Knoxville TN

          • mauibandb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
              One of the best accessible sites of hawaiian music is http://huapala.org
              although I could not find Kila Kila O Haleakala. But I am not sure that is the
              name of the song. Perhaps Harry B Soria knows the proper name?

              aloha
              Maui Tom