Re: Inez Ashdown Aloha Kahoolawe

  • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 2003
      Mauibandb@... (sorry I haven't got your name) posted this wonderful text
      and translation - thanks for the 'okina (glottal stop) and at least occasional
      kahako (phonemic vowel length marker). My Hawaiian is fairly minimal, but
      let's go anyway - I love this mele. - Kaho'olawe - the smallest of the eight
      islands - a sacred place in `âina (the land) - was taken over as a gunnery range
      at the beginning of WW II and is now being reclaimed by native Hawaiians who
      are trying to clear the island of unexploded ordinance. When a Hawaiian - even a
      haole like myself who just happens to have been born there in 1939, thanks to
      the US Army, and has not a drop of koko (native blood) uses the word `âina -
      the sacred land (like `eretz in Hebrew) you better listen - Ke aloha ku pa`a o
      ka`âina is the last line of this mele. Do what you can to make peace and
      aloha in every`âina.

      Ke ala no i Kahiki - there lies the passage to Tahiti - sublime conceit -
      Kealaikahiki "this way to Tahiti" Channel passes by Kaho'olawe. Kahiki (Tahiti in
      Hawaiian phonetics) is the farthest-away place Hawaiian knows of - so a
      pineapple is hala.kahiki (pandanus fruit from Tahiti) - rather like "guinea pig"
      and "horseradish" in English - Meerschweinchen and Meerrettich in German - sorry
      for the ramble, folks, it's been a long day.

      Bob Richmond
      Knoxville TN and Gastonia NC
      born O'ahu (Tripler Army Hospital) 1939
      and great fan of Don Blanding's Stowaways in Paradise (first read to me when
      I was five)
      *******************
      Aloha Kaho`olawe - Inez Ashdown, Pilahi Paki & Irmgard Farden Aluli - Source:
      In 1963, Inez Ashdown was reminiscing of her experiences on Kaho`olawe.
      Pilahi Paki translated the English into Hawaiian and Irmgard set it to music, a
      song composed in one day. Copyright Criterion Music Corp

      E o mai e Kaho`olawe
      Moku o ka Pakipika
      Ku a moana a na kai
      Ke ala no i Kahiki
      `O `oe no ka`u i aloha
      Ka `ike `ana i na moku lana
      Ho`olana nei ku`u aloha
      Ke aloha no o na kai

      Kula `ula o Moa`ula
      Na awawa o Kamohio
      Na `ale kai o Kanapou
      Ku`u `aina i aloha ai
      Maluna au o ka lio holo
      Ka `ike aku ia li`ulana
      Ho`opa mai o ka Moa`e
      Ka makani o ka `aina

      Aloha no `oe e Kaho`olawe
      Moku o ka Pakipika
      Kaulana no kou inoa
      I kakau a na kanaka
      Ha`ina na pua lei na mamo
      O na moku o Hawai`i nei
      Ho`opa`a mai `oe i ke aloha
      Ke aloha ku pa`a o ka`âina

      Respond O Kaho`olawe
      Isle in the Pacific
      Surrounded by the ocean
      There lies the passage to Tahiti
      It is you that I love
      As I observe the floating ships
      They confort my love
      And admiration for the sea

      Reddened plains of Moa`ula
      The gulches of Kamohio
      The billow of Kanapou
      The land I love
      I ride on a swift horse
      As I look toward the setting sun
      The Moae breeze caresses me
      The wind of that land

      Aloha to you, O Kaho`olawe
      Isle in the Pacific
      Well-known is your name to all
      Inherited by all the people
      The children, heirs and descendants
      Of all the islands of Hawaii
      Fixed love for it is within u
      Steadfast love for the land

    • mauibandb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 17, 2003
        Thanks Bob for your appreciation of the Mele. I am impressed with your
        sensitivity to the Hawaiian language living in Tennesee. Yes Kahoolawe's tie to
        Tahiti is the current that will take you directly there.

        aloha
        Maui Tom

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
          Aloha Kaho`olawe

          Inez Ashdown, Pilahi Paki & Irmgard Farden Aluli
          Dear Maui Tom and Richard,
          Mahalo for the song and the information. As you know Tom, I have been
          looking for the song by Inez who was Armine’s von Tempsky’s adopted sister. I
          will now be able to add it to my information on Inez. Mahalo.

          I have come across another song in my readings and wonder if it is truly a
          Maui song or a part of the fictional book. Have you heard of: Kilokilo o
          Haleakala.

          Happy Holidays and a wonderful New Year to everyone.

        • mauibandb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
            Kila Kila O Haleakala? If that is it then it is a Maui Song. The Second
            verse is Kuahiwi nani O Maui.

            aloha
            Maui Tom

          • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
              Maui Tom (who's MauiBandB on AOL) wrote: >> Thanks Bob for your appreciation
              of the Mele. I am impressed with your sensitivity to the Hawaiian language
              living in Tennesee. Yes Kahoolawe's tie to Tahiti is the current that will take
              you directly there.<<

              Thanks for the kind words, Maui Tom. As most of you know, my only tie to Don
              Blanding is that his Stowaways in Paradise was one of the books that really
              shaped my childhood. Through this list I've found out who Don Blanding really
              was. I confess I don't resonate real well to his poetry - wish I'd encountered
              it when I was a lot younger - or could read it with a friend of mine who's a
              serious student of gay literature - he's walked me through some of the poetry of
              Mark Doty -

              I think we should republish Stowaways in Paradise - with all the notes we
              could write - with the Hawaiian place names spelled right in scriptio plena (how
              DO you say that in Hawaiian?) I scanned a page of the book a few years ago to
              see what the project would be like. The book is so simply and beautifully made
              that I'm not sure we could convey it.

              Then one or more of us would write a sequel - Mickey and Pua in WW II of
              course - a project worthy of a James Michener -

              An ambitious dream - but our reach should exceed our grasp, as the saying
              goes -

              Bob Richmond
              Knoxville TN

            • mauibandb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
                One of the best accessible sites of hawaiian music is http://huapala.org
                although I could not find Kila Kila O Haleakala. But I am not sure that is the
                name of the song. Perhaps Harry B Soria knows the proper name?

                aloha
                Maui Tom