Re: [aloha-donblanding]Inez Ashdown Aloha Kahoolawe

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 2003
      Aloha Kaho`olawe - Inez Ashdown, Pilahi Paki & Irmgard Farden Aluli

      E o mai e Kaho`olawe
      Moku o ka Pakipika
      Ku a moana a na kai
      Ke ala no i Kahiki
      `O `oe no ka`u i aloha
      Ka `ike `ana i na moku lana
      Ho`olana nei ku`u aloha
      Ke aloha no o na kai

      Kula `ula o Moa`ula
      Na awawa o Kamohio
      Na `ale kai o Kanapou
      Ku`u `aina i aloha ai
      Maluna au o ka lio holo
      Ka `ike aku ia li`ulana
      Ho`opa mai o ka Moa`e
      Ka makani o ka `aina

      Aloha no `oe e Kaho`olawe
      Moku o ka Pakipika
      Kaulana no kou inoa
      I kakau a na kanaka
      Ha`ina na pua lei na mamo
      O na moku o Hawai`i nei
      Ho`opa`a mai `oe i ke aloha
      Ke aloha ku pa`a o ka`âina

      Respond O Kaho`olawe
      Isle in the Pacific
      Surrounded by the ocean
      There lies the passage to Tahiti
      It is you that I love
      As I observe the floating ships
      They confort my love
      And admiration for the sea

      Reddened plains of Moa`ula
      The gulches of Kamohio
      The billow of Kanapou
      The land I love
      I ride on a swift horse
      As I look toward the setting sun
      The Moae breeze caresses me
      The wind of that land

      Aloha to you, O Kaho`olawe
      Isle in the Pacific
      Well-known is your name to all
      Inherited by all the people
      The children, heirs and descendants
      Of all the islands of Hawaii
      Fixed love for it is within u
      Steadfast love for the land

      Source: In 1963, Inez Ashdown was reminiscing of her experiences on
      Kaho`olawe. Pilahi Paki translated the English into Hawaiian and Irmgard set it to
      music, a song composed in one day. Copyright Criterion Music Corp

    • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 17, 2003
        Mauibandb@... (sorry I haven't got your name) posted this wonderful text
        and translation - thanks for the 'okina (glottal stop) and at least occasional
        kahako (phonemic vowel length marker). My Hawaiian is fairly minimal, but
        let's go anyway - I love this mele. - Kaho'olawe - the smallest of the eight
        islands - a sacred place in `âina (the land) - was taken over as a gunnery range
        at the beginning of WW II and is now being reclaimed by native Hawaiians who
        are trying to clear the island of unexploded ordinance. When a Hawaiian - even a
        haole like myself who just happens to have been born there in 1939, thanks to
        the US Army, and has not a drop of koko (native blood) uses the word `âina -
        the sacred land (like `eretz in Hebrew) you better listen - Ke aloha ku pa`a o
        ka`âina is the last line of this mele. Do what you can to make peace and
        aloha in every`âina.

        Ke ala no i Kahiki - there lies the passage to Tahiti - sublime conceit -
        Kealaikahiki "this way to Tahiti" Channel passes by Kaho'olawe. Kahiki (Tahiti in
        Hawaiian phonetics) is the farthest-away place Hawaiian knows of - so a
        pineapple is hala.kahiki (pandanus fruit from Tahiti) - rather like "guinea pig"
        and "horseradish" in English - Meerschweinchen and Meerrettich in German - sorry
        for the ramble, folks, it's been a long day.

        Bob Richmond
        Knoxville TN and Gastonia NC
        born O'ahu (Tripler Army Hospital) 1939
        and great fan of Don Blanding's Stowaways in Paradise (first read to me when
        I was five)
        *******************
        Aloha Kaho`olawe - Inez Ashdown, Pilahi Paki & Irmgard Farden Aluli - Source:

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 17, 2003
          Thanks Bob for your appreciation of the Mele. I am impressed with your
          sensitivity to the Hawaiian language living in Tennesee. Yes Kahoolawe's tie to
          Tahiti is the current that will take you directly there.

          aloha
          Maui Tom

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
            Aloha Kaho`olawe

            Inez Ashdown, Pilahi Paki & Irmgard Farden Aluli
            Dear Maui Tom and Richard,
            Mahalo for the song and the information. As you know Tom, I have been
            looking for the song by Inez who was Armine’s von Tempsky’s adopted sister. I
            will now be able to add it to my information on Inez. Mahalo.

            I have come across another song in my readings and wonder if it is truly a
            Maui song or a part of the fictional book. Have you heard of: Kilokilo o
            Haleakala.

            Happy Holidays and a wonderful New Year to everyone.

          • mauibandb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
              Kila Kila O Haleakala? If that is it then it is a Maui Song. The Second
              verse is Kuahiwi nani O Maui.

              aloha
              Maui Tom

            • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
                Maui Tom (who's MauiBandB on AOL) wrote: >> Thanks Bob for your appreciation
                of the Mele. I am impressed with your sensitivity to the Hawaiian language
                living in Tennesee. Yes Kahoolawe's tie to Tahiti is the current that will take
                you directly there.<<

                Thanks for the kind words, Maui Tom. As most of you know, my only tie to Don
                Blanding is that his Stowaways in Paradise was one of the books that really
                shaped my childhood. Through this list I've found out who Don Blanding really
                was. I confess I don't resonate real well to his poetry - wish I'd encountered
                it when I was a lot younger - or could read it with a friend of mine who's a
                serious student of gay literature - he's walked me through some of the poetry of
                Mark Doty -

                I think we should republish Stowaways in Paradise - with all the notes we
                could write - with the Hawaiian place names spelled right in scriptio plena (how
                DO you say that in Hawaiian?) I scanned a page of the book a few years ago to
                see what the project would be like. The book is so simply and beautifully made
                that I'm not sure we could convey it.

                Then one or more of us would write a sequel - Mickey and Pua in WW II of
                course - a project worthy of a James Michener -

                An ambitious dream - but our reach should exceed our grasp, as the saying
                goes -

                Bob Richmond
                Knoxville TN

              • mauibandb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
                  One of the best accessible sites of hawaiian music is http://huapala.org
                  although I could not find Kila Kila O Haleakala. But I am not sure that is the
                  name of the song. Perhaps Harry B Soria knows the proper name?

                  aloha
                  Maui Tom