Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: 1924 Honolulu Star-Bulletin

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
      Sorry your right I knew I believe his nephew Kimo Wilder Mcvay. My mother
      (85) remembers she had a crush on "Jimmy Wilder" but believes he never married.
      That was a blooper

      aloha
      Maui Tom

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
        James Austin "Kimo" Wilder (1868-1934), who incidentally founded the Sea Scouts,
        was married to Sarah Harnden Wilder. They had two children that I know of: James A.
        H. "Jimmy" Wilder, and a daughter, Kinau Wilder. Jimmy Wilder married a woman
        named Betty, and they had a daughter.

        Kinau married Rear Admiral Charles Butler McVay III... the man who was court-
        martialed for the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. Their son was Kimo Wilder McVay,
        who was the grandson of Kimo Wilder, and the nephew of Jimmy Wilder.
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2003
          > ARTISTS' MOTHER GOOSE
          > Bow wow wow!
          > Whose ball art thou?
          > Kimo's or Blanding's ball,
          > Quat'z Arts, Wow!

          You may be right, Keith. Or, since "Mother Goose" had so many
          children she didn't know what to do," perhaps either Wilder or
          Blanding asked for a little help and the ball suddenly became a joint
          effort. Mentions of the ball in later years give credit to both men
          for the project.

          Whenever I read of Quat'z Arts ball or Blanding's elaborate 1920s
          revues such as "Dream Girls," "Tropic Topics" or "Hula Moon," I
          can't help but wish that a modern producer could recreate the event.
          My imagination pictures a cross between Rudolf Friml's operettas and
          MGM musicals -- Hawiian style!