Re: 1924 Honolulu Star-Bulletin

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
      Tom,

      James Austin "Kimo" Wilder died on the 4th of July, 1934...surely you're not old
      enough to have known him, are you?

      ...or did you know his grandson, Kimo Wilder McVay, who died in June of 2001?

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
        I typed the verse wrong, stupid me, it should read "Kimo's OR Blanding's ball"...

        ARTISTS' MOTHER GOOSE
        Bow wow wow!
        Whose ball art thou?
        Kimo's or Blanding's ball,
        Quat'z Arts, Wow!

        Which makes me think Gessler is hinting at a question over who's really responsible
        for starting the annual ball.
      • mauibandb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
          Sorry your right I knew I believe his nephew Kimo Wilder Mcvay. My mother
          (85) remembers she had a crush on "Jimmy Wilder" but believes he never married.
          That was a blooper

          aloha
          Maui Tom

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
            James Austin "Kimo" Wilder (1868-1934), who incidentally founded the Sea Scouts,
            was married to Sarah Harnden Wilder. They had two children that I know of: James A.
            H. "Jimmy" Wilder, and a daughter, Kinau Wilder. Jimmy Wilder married a woman
            named Betty, and they had a daughter.

            Kinau married Rear Admiral Charles Butler McVay III... the man who was court-
            martialed for the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. Their son was Kimo Wilder McVay,
            who was the grandson of Kimo Wilder, and the nephew of Jimmy Wilder.
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10, 2003
              > ARTISTS' MOTHER GOOSE
              > Bow wow wow!
              > Whose ball art thou?
              > Kimo's or Blanding's ball,
              > Quat'z Arts, Wow!

              You may be right, Keith. Or, since "Mother Goose" had so many
              children she didn't know what to do," perhaps either Wilder or
              Blanding asked for a little help and the ball suddenly became a joint
              effort. Mentions of the ball in later years give credit to both men
              for the project.

              Whenever I read of Quat'z Arts ball or Blanding's elaborate 1920s
              revues such as "Dream Girls," "Tropic Topics" or "Hula Moon," I
              can't help but wish that a modern producer could recreate the event.
              My imagination pictures a cross between Rudolf Friml's operettas and
              MGM musicals -- Hawiian style!