1924 Honolulu Star-Bulletin

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
      Cadia,

      A while ago I ordered microfilm for Jan-June 1924...and they only sent me film for
      March and June of that year. I suppose the other months were not available.

      Following are some stories that appeared in March:

      Various advertisements and articles for the Mardi Gras Ball, which was sponsored by
      Cross-Roads Studios, and staged by Don Blanding and Frank Moore. Event was held
      on March 4 at Waikiki Park - tickets were $1.50 general admission and $2.00 for box
      seats.

      A nice photograph of James A. "Kimo" Wilder at an easel appeared on March 1st.

      There were various ads for exhibits at Cross-Roads Studios, including etchings by
      Iwalani Basler, Huc Luquiens, A. S. MacLeod, and J. Bernard Shiffer. D. Howard
      Hitchcock had a showing starting on March 12th. Madge Tennent had another
      showing starting March 24th.

      Don wrote an article on March 26th titled "Unusual Exhibit of Leading Artists Obtained
      For Honolulu" which was about an upcoming Cross-Roads exhibit of the Salmagundi
      Club of New York, a painter's group of which Frank Moore was a member.

      There was a mention of the upcoming Quat'z Arts ball which was planned for friday,
      April 25th. Get this, the name of the ball was going to be called

      IN THE PERSIAN GARDEN OF CHADERLAOMERZAELEPHAHADHURUM

      I would have loved to have been in attendance for that one! Clifford Gessler wrote a
      cryptic verse in one of his weekly columns, Slants:

      ARTISTS' MOTHER GOOSE
      Bow wow wow!
      Whose ball art thou?
      Kimo's of Blanding's ball,
      Quat'z Arts, Wow!

      What do you make of that Cadia?

      ~Keith
    • mauibandb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
        Thanks for sharing the Bow wow ball Keith. Since I knew Mr Wilder it was
        quite fun.

        aloha
        Tom

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
          Tom,

          James Austin "Kimo" Wilder died on the 4th of July, 1934...surely you're not old
          enough to have known him, are you?

          ...or did you know his grandson, Kimo Wilder McVay, who died in June of 2001?

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
            I typed the verse wrong, stupid me, it should read "Kimo's OR Blanding's ball"...

            ARTISTS' MOTHER GOOSE
            Bow wow wow!
            Whose ball art thou?
            Kimo's or Blanding's ball,
            Quat'z Arts, Wow!

            Which makes me think Gessler is hinting at a question over who's really responsible
            for starting the annual ball.
          • mauibandb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
              Sorry your right I knew I believe his nephew Kimo Wilder Mcvay. My mother
              (85) remembers she had a crush on "Jimmy Wilder" but believes he never married.
              That was a blooper

              aloha
              Maui Tom

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
                James Austin "Kimo" Wilder (1868-1934), who incidentally founded the Sea Scouts,
                was married to Sarah Harnden Wilder. They had two children that I know of: James A.
                H. "Jimmy" Wilder, and a daughter, Kinau Wilder. Jimmy Wilder married a woman
                named Betty, and they had a daughter.

                Kinau married Rear Admiral Charles Butler McVay III... the man who was court-
                martialed for the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. Their son was Kimo Wilder McVay,
                who was the grandson of Kimo Wilder, and the nephew of Jimmy Wilder.
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 10, 2003
                  > ARTISTS' MOTHER GOOSE
                  > Bow wow wow!
                  > Whose ball art thou?
                  > Kimo's or Blanding's ball,
                  > Quat'z Arts, Wow!

                  You may be right, Keith. Or, since "Mother Goose" had so many
                  children she didn't know what to do," perhaps either Wilder or
                  Blanding asked for a little help and the ball suddenly became a joint
                  effort. Mentions of the ball in later years give credit to both men
                  for the project.

                  Whenever I read of Quat'z Arts ball or Blanding's elaborate 1920s
                  revues such as "Dream Girls," "Tropic Topics" or "Hula Moon," I
                  can't help but wish that a modern producer could recreate the event.
                  My imagination pictures a cross between Rudolf Friml's operettas and
                  MGM musicals -- Hawiian style!