Allen Sawtelle

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 21, 2003
      I'm sure that Allen Sawtelle would like to have a copy of any material you come up with about his grandfather Ed. tj
    • tjmarkle2005
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 15, 2013
        Allen: I have a photo you gave me years ago. It would appear to be DB with a Hawaiian woman and I suspect it would be Aunty Pinau. There is no date or other info on this photo. Would you look back through your photo's and look for the one with DB in slacks and a dark colored sports coat. He's wearing a lei also. She is right next to him and I would assume they were in Hawaii. Tell me if you remember anything about it or have some dates for it. If I had better confidence in it I would send it to the newspaper to be printed with my eventual story on Aunty Pinau. It might be the only actual photo we have of her, if it is her. Thanks...tj
      • mauibandb@...

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 16, 2013
            No. I compared this picture with the oil painting picture of AuntyPinau and
            they appear to be the same person. If I could date it, and it was in the 40's,
            it would give credence to the Harry Owens version of her death in 46-47.
            Looking at Don's face and weight, I would say it is in the early 30's and maybe
            even 1929 when he was flown over to Honolulu for the 10th annual Lei Day
            celebration. Who knows. Research is sometimes a guessing game. No word yet
            from the Star-Advertiser. I don't want to bug them myself. She probably has
            her own timeline for articles she's working on. We're not the only fish in the
            tank. tj

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 18, 2013
              TJ
              I don't remember if you asked Desoto Brown if he knew who she was? He use
              to be with the Bishop Museum and was an afficionado of Blanding and his
              era?
              I am not sure if he maintains a presence in the blanding Group?
              Let me know if you want to contact him I will rustle the bushes and get
              contact information.
              aloha
              tom

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 18, 2013
                Prior to contacting the University of Hawaii for research help, I contacted the
                Bishop Museum. I was told that temporarily all research requests would not be
                honored as they were revamping their programs. I thought the Bishop Museum and
                Desoto Brown would be a natural for this. If you can rustle bushes, please do
                so. You can give him my name and email if you want to. Thanks for the help on
                this one. tj

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 19, 2013
                  TJ, you might want to get your own timeline in order. Don Blanding left Honolulu in mid-July 1928, bound for Seattle through December and thence to New York through at least most of 1931. (He did travel a bit on the East Coast during 1930-31.)

                  The 10th annual Lei Day was in May 1937 -- not 1929. This was DB's first visit back to Hawaii since he left in 1928. He arrived about April 19, 1937, and remained in the Islands until about September 20. He did not return again to Honolulu until late April 1939, remaining through the summer. He then made a mainland tour and went back to Honolulu in November (having asked friends to delay his birthday celebration until November 15).

                  During the winter of 1939-1940, DB put together the production, A Night to Remember, which played in early February. By February 15, 1940, he was headed back to Carmel, CA, to sell his house and meander across country to Florida. (He and Dorothy met briefly on the day of his departure.) A short time after his arrival in Florida, he and Dorothy were married in mid-June.

                  DB did not return again to the Islands until 1953, following his voyage to Micronesia; he left Bend, OR, in late August 1952 and as nearly as I can figure, was settled again in Honolulu by early spring 1953. DB remained in the Islands until September 1955. He spent the remainder of his life traveling on the mainland, with trips to both Alaska and Canada in 1956 and 1957.

                  So, if taken in Hawaii, your photo has to be either (1) before mid-July 1928 or (2) between April-September 1937 or (3) between April-September 1939 or (4) between November 15, 1939, and February 15, 1940 or (5) between early 1953 and late September 1955.

                  Hope this helps in dating the photo.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 19, 2013
                    The 10th anniversary of Lei Day wasn't in 1929, as you say. My mind was
                    drifting I guess. As our politician say, I mis-spoke. The photo I have, at
                    least in my mind, shows him to be younger and slimmer than he was in the late
                    thirties and early 40's. I suspect this photo is from the late 20's or very
                    early 30's. Nothing in the photo can be dated by me so that I could actually
                    date it. I'll see if I can send it to you and you can put it on our website.
                    What email address should I use to send you this photo? Thanks for the
                    timeline data. tj

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 15, 2014
                      I'm hoping this message gets to Allen Sawtelle.  I need to talk with you.  You can email me or go through this site.  Thanks....tj
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 15, 2014
                        I received word from Allen's wife, Wilma, that he is in hospice and only has a short time left.  His battle with cancer was long and tough.  Allen and I had some great talks about Blanding and what he remembered about him.  I met him in Las Vegas once and we spent the day together.  Our group should remember him.  Allen might be the last person alive that actually met and lived with Blanding.  tj
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 15, 2014

                          Mahalo ,

                          Prayers for a peaceful passing and soon long talks for Allen with Don.

                          Bev.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 16, 2014
                            My thoughts and prayers are with him for a bon voyage. michael
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 19, 2014
                              Allen's wife, Wilma, emailed with me and said that Allen passed away peacefully at their home on April 16th.  He has transitioned to his next being and is no longer suffering.  There might be some type of service but she wasn't clear on that.  I'll wait and see what the family decides.  Allen and I met several times to discuss his rememberances of Don while he lived with him as a teenager. We've stayed in touch as friends for the last 14 years.  He told me some things that I could not divulge until he passed on.  We know most of it anyway but to hear it first hand was interesting.  Allen also trusted me with a very nice Acrilyic painting Don painted from Joy is An Inside Job.  Allen sent it to me, trusting  me totally, for the 2000 show.  I don't know where that will go now but Allen had indicated he would donate everything he had to the Bishop Museum in Honolulu when he transitioned.  As I hear more I'll email with the group.  Allen was the last person alive, (that I know of) that intimately knew the Vagabond Poet.  tj
                            • Karen Cotter
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 19, 2014

                                Thanks for the sad update and thanks for sharing this with those who care.....Karen C

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 19, 2014
                                  Rest in peace Allen.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 19, 2014

                                    On wings of angels!

                                    Bev.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 22, 2014
                                      His family is again in my thoughts and prayers. Aloha and bon voyage, Allen!