Calling all detectives

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2003
      I have some detective work for anyone interested who lives close to Redlands,
      California.

      Blanding lived in or near Ontario California from the fall of 1934 to the spring of
      1935. There he worked with James Neill Northe on several volumes of poetry and
      contributed to the local newspaper.

      As far as I can see there is only one place in the country which has copies of the
      Ontario Weekly Tribune from that time period, and that is the A.K. Smily Public Library
      at 125 W. Vine Street in Redlands, California.

      They don't have issues from 1934, but they do have some from the beginning of
      1935. Can someone from that area go there and look through the issues for any
      mentions of Don Blanding, James Neill Northe, Margaret Scott Copeland, Arthur
      Truman Merrill, etc..

      I'm trying to fill in the gaps for Blanding in the thirties, and would be extremely
      grateful!

      Keith Emmons
    • Karen Cotter
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2003
        Criminy! I just went through Redlands (or very nearby) weekend before last
        on my way to take a basket class from a Chemehuevi Indian lady! It's about
        75-80 miles from my house but I will be going back in January for another
        class. If you haven't gotten the info by then, I will check into it. In
        the meantime, I can call them and see what I can find out. E-mailing is
        sometimes a waste of time as whoever gets the e-mail may not be of a mind to
        do any "research". If you call, they are "stuck" with you! Karen C

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 18, 2003
          Karen Leilani

          Most librarians are not willing to go through a newspaper line for
          line, which is what will be required for this project. Ask Cadia how
          time consuming it can be.

          Keith
        • Karen Cotter
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 18, 2003
            Ok....I'll check it out when I'm in the neighborhood again unless someone
            beats me to it! Karen