Re: Ida Kimble Blanding

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2003
      You probably won't find a death certificate for Hugh; he died in
      Lawton, Oklahoma in 1902, before statehood.

      Hugh Ross Blanding died in June 1921; James died October 31, 1926,
      both in Honolulu. Information on both is in the Files.

      Thanks for finally determining the date of Ida's death -- I read
      virtually every line of the Star-Bulletin for 1928 and there was no
      mention. Considering DB's popularity at that time, I am genuinely
      surprised! DB had already planned to leave Honolulu in September for
      New York. "Vagabond's House" was accepted for Fall publication on
      May 1 (Lei Day) so his presence in New York was a given.

      Today and Wednesday I'm finishing up the batch of early 1954
      microfilm and will then take a look at the Seattle newspapers for
      Fall 1928. Unless DB was doing a book promotion tour, there's not
      likely to be anything, but it's worth a try.

      ~~C~~