Re: DB and my great grandfather

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
      Michael,

      Sorry about the slow response to this message (one year later) but do you remember
      when your great-grandmother made the entries about Blanding? I'm wondering when
      Don was making plans to do business with William Twigg-Smith.

      Did your grandfather Thurston Twigg-Smith ever have any dealings with Blanding.

      Keith

      --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mpfeffer@p...> wrote:
      > Hello all,
      > Came across a reference to DB in an unlikely place--my great
      > grandmother's diary. She mentions DB in a number of places as being
      > a friend of my great grandfather (William Twigg-Smith). Twigg-Smith
      > was a photographer and professional landscape painter who lived in
      > Hawaii from 1916 to 1950 when he passed away. Not sure how he knew
      > DB, but the diary mentions that they were thinking about doing
      > business together. Unfortunately, it does not mention what kind of
      > business and I cannot find any record that they actually did
      > something together. Still, it was really great to find a tangible
      > link to DB in my family history. Amazing how he keeps turning up when
      > you least expect it!
      >
      > Hope all is well with all of you,
      > Michael
    • Michael Pfeffer
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
        Keith,
        I will research the diary and get back to you. My offhand recollection is that is was during the 20s or 30s but I should be able to nail it down for you.

        I do not believe that DB ever connected with TTS but I can surely ask him.

        Aloha, MTP
        Sorry about the slow response to this message (one year later) but do you remember
        when your great-grandmother made the entries about Blanding? I'm wondering when
        Don was making plans to do business with William Twigg-Smith.

        Did your grandfather Thurston Twigg-Smith ever have any dealings with Blanding.

        Keith

        --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mpfeffer@p...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > Came across a reference to DB in an unlikely place--my great
        > grandmother's diary. She mentions DB in a number of places as being
        > a friend of my great grandfather (William Twigg-Smith). Twigg-Smith
        > was a photographer and professional landscape painter who lived in
        > Hawaii from 1916 to 1950 when he passed away. Not sure how he knew
        > DB, but the diary mentions that they were thinking about doing
        > business together. Unfortunately, it does not mention what kind of
        > business and I cannot find any record that they actually did
        > something together. Still, it was really great to find a tangible
        > link to DB in my family history. Amazing how he keeps turning up when
        > you least expect it!
        >
        > Hope all is well with all of you,
        > Michael

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
          Michael,

          I looked in my notes and found at least one occasion where Twigg
          Smith and Don
          Blanding exhibited in the same art show. It sounds like they hung out
          in the same
          arty crowd.

          The exhibition was in January of 1923 and held at Gurrey's Art
          Center, located at the
          former Cunha Saloon. It was titled 'The Young Man's Show' and the
          general focus was
          to allow six of the city's prominent commercial artists a venue to
          display their fine art
          endeavors.

          The entrants were William M. Gillies, Martin R. Aden, Twigg Smith, A.
          S. McLeod, John
          Poole, and of course Don Blanding. Blanding had a portrait of Fanny
          Heaslip Lea's
          daughter, as well as two mythological paintings he was commissioned
          to paint for the
          library; a centaur and a tiger hunt. Twigg Smith had five insect
          renderings that he
          produced for the experiment station of the Hawaii Sugar Planters'
          Association, and
          also contributed one of his famous "Rainbow Houses."

          William Gillies is the person Blanding stayed with for a short time
          in 1931 in Westport,
          Conn. after he left New York City. Martin Aden was a co-worker of
          Don's at the Star-
          Bulletin, who illustrated the program for Tropics Topics. McLeod and
          Poole of course
          also worked at the SB, and contributed drawings for Don's early
          Honolulu books.