Re: Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September-December 1926

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2003
      Cadia,

      Occasionally I go back and review old messages, and I came across this one where
      you cite an article from 1926 mentioning an upcoming printing of Vagabond's House
      by David Graham Fischer of Los Angeles.

      This intrigues me and I'm not sure why I never responded to it before. David Graham
      Fischer is the printer who published a 1926 private printing of The Virgin of Waikiki.

      Somehow I don't think the edition ever got published, because one of us would have
      come across it at some point or other, don't you think?

      I've read that Don tried four different publishers before Dodd, Mead & Co. accepted
      his book for publication...so perhaps the project fell through at the last minute with
      Fischer. If there is a rare early edition of Vag's House I sure would love to know about
      it. As some of you know, the poem Vagabond's House was included in the first edition
      of Leaves From a Grass-House (the Cross-Roads Studios printing) but taken out of all
      later Patten editions. I had always assumed this was done because the poem was
      being saved for a different publication.

      As Cadia noted, the front of Flowers of the Rainbow (1927) mentions DB as author of
      "Leaves from a Grass House," "Paradise Loot," and "Vagabond's House." So there's
      more to this mystery than meets the eye.

      Cadia, did you ever come across another mention of the 1926 printing of Vag's House
      in your microfilm meanderings?

      Keith