Re: Living trust & DB

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 15, 2003
      TJ,

      I doubt that a formal appraisal is necessary. I would just list each
      item, what you paid, when and where you acquired it .. then double
      the total for insurance purposes.

      Over time, you can adjust the amount upward by 5% or 10% a year to
      keep pace with both inflation and posssibly increased collector
      interest. Insurance companies don't care about most collectibles;
      unless you have an item valued over $500 or $1000, they just lump
      everything into "household goods." Years ago, when I had renter's
      insurance, 3 different companies just said, "Tell us how much you
      think it would cost to replace everything you own; no itemization
      needed." The only separate rider was for a large painting by Howard
      Chandler Christy.

      Valuing collectibles of any kind is subjective at best. Original
      artwork is valued differently than books, which are valued
      differently than ephemera or dishes or whatever. If there is a track
      record of sales -- direct or via auction -- then a book value can be
      established. But for one-of-a-kind items, or for those with a
      limited audience, the value is essentially whatever someone wants to
      pay and the seller is willing to accept.

      In listening to appraisers on the Antiques Roadshow, I've noticed
      that a thematic collection, especially one with documented
      provenance, often is valued higher than if the parts were found
      scattered. Objects by themselves may have modest value;
      the "collection" of these objects is what gives them meaning and
      value.

      On a good day, I can buy a copy of almost any DB book for under $20.
      (The exceptions are "In An Old Hawaiian Garden" and the books that
      precede "Vagabond's House.") Condition, edition and provenance are
      important.

      A couple of years ago, I paid $50 at a show for a decent copy
      of "Flowers of the Rainbow." The tag price was $85; the dealer
      wanted a sale, saw that I was spending time with that book and didn't
      hesitate to drop the price. I was happy, he was happy. Now I see
      people offering a copy in lousy condition for $150 and up.
      Optimists, all!

      Now, if I were to find a copy of "Flowers of the Rainbow" hand-
      inscribed by DB to his mother, with date and place ... poor as I am,
      money would be no object.

      Auctions present a special case. Hawaiiana sells, as almost any
      dealer will tell you. Put 2 or more bidders together and you get a
      bidding frenzy. Is the object worth what the top bidder paid?
      Probably not. The underbidders just want to make sure he pays a
      whole lot more than he thought he would.

      As for where a collection should be held, I think it's more important
      to document what items exist, where, and what their estimated value
      is based on whatever track record is available. Obviously, some DB-
      related items already appear in value guides, including books and
      Vernon Kilns dishes.

      The Museum of the Great Plains probably has the largest concentrated
      collection of memorabilia; collectively we as a group probably have a
      great deal more. I like the idea of the Honolulu Academy of the Arts
      being a repository, with the possibility of a permanent or rotating
      display. DB was somewhat associated with the Academy from its
      beginnings in 1927 (as a prominent member of the arts community). The
      University of Hawaii, like most universities, houses collections for
      research purposes, but it is not likely that public display of DB
      memorabilia would be a priority. The Bishop Museum is not a
      contender here; its focus is not on the arts or on Hawaiiana but on
      the natural sciences. The Bishop Museum's website mentions DB
      once, in connection with Lei Day: a link to my website.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 15, 2003
        Good points everyone.

        I guess the items in my collection that I consider to be the most
        valuable are things that the average tourist to Hawaii wouldn't find
        in the least bit interesting. Personal letters, books once owned by
        DB, things given to relatives, personal snapshots of friends and
        family. This is the collection that I feel the Great Plains Museum
        would protect and save for future researchers.

        If I owned original artwork of the Hawaiian Islands, drawings or
        paintings, I would probably will those to a Honolulu museum. I could
        see tourists wanting to see something like that. But I don't own any
        of his artwork, so its a moot point for me.

        As for his books, advertising mass-mailings, greeting cards and
        pottery...heck there's enough of that out there to spread around to
        everyone. There's so much of it, in fact, that I don't really care
        who gets it.

        Keith
      • missndn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 19, 2003
          Re the trust:

          Don Blanding is from Oklahoma and there was a museum show there a couple of
          years ago that featured his work. I don't remember the name of the museum at
          the moment. I know that seems out of his elements, but perhaps it would be
          worth considering.
          Alita

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 19, 2003
            Yes, the Museum of the Great Plains in Lawton is one of the entities
            under discussion.

            ~~C~~