inflated values - ebay

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2003
      I don't disagree that we can appraise our stuff ourselves. However, I have felt that due to the influence of Ebay auctions, prices have inflated beyond what the real value is. We may be victims of our own research and making DB more visible, etc. I was not sure if in the "real world" of appraisals, the values would be much less than our purchase prices or asking bids on Ebay. I am concerned that because I am an avid collector, etc, my evaluations would be influenced by my view of DB verses what an independent appraiser might actually see it's worth to the general market place. We have all seen rare pieces go for extrordinary prices because the bidder just wanted to own it. Thats OK of course but is that the true value in the longhaul? Thats why I put this out to the group for input and creative idea making. Maybe the museum's can evaluate for donation and tax purposes????
      As to museum of choice.....I've not heard good things about the Bishop Museum but don't know if what is said is fact as I've not dealt with them much. I think Allen Sawtelle has his artwork designated to go there. I agree we need to pick one museum and I'm not against the Plains museum per se. I suspect it would be the safest place as they really do claim DB as one of their own and are proud of his accomplishments. I'm concerned, as is Karen, that if we donate to a museum that eventually sells off the collection and away it goes again. Maybe I am influenced by the West Coast syndrome...smile.....I don't see many people flocking to Oklahoma for their dream vacation like Hawaii. And so, DB's legacy might just be warehoused in Oklahoma for Oklahomians to view and see. Maybe thats the way it should be as I don't think they would sell off their home son's work. I thought of Hawaii because of the high level of tourism and I still feel DB's heart and soul was there, not in Oklahoma. Keith might correct me but I don't see DB being creatively influenced by Oklahoma. When I read his poetry, I smell and see Hawaii and the Islands and feel the healing spirit that DB sought in Hawaii.
      At one point there was discussion of the Honolulu Academy of Arts being interested in a DB collection and show. I think Michael may have mentioned this at one time. I have not been to the Academy myself and so, don't really know what it is like. My co-host for the Carmel show spoke highly of the Academy verse the Bishop Museum. The Bishop, so I hear, doesn't really display but warehouses collections. Again, I haven't been to the Bishop either, so, I don't really know if that is fact or fiction.
      As a separate issue, is it out of the realm of possiblities that the Plains Museum hook up with Bishop and/or the Honolulu Academy of Arts to agree to have separate but cooperative shows/exhibits? I suppose this can be costly, due to shipping/insurance charges, etc...but is it possible? We have an outstanding collection if we put all our eggs in the same basket and maybe that gives us room to negotiate in the future. So, maybe I'll put floats on the Blandingmobile and take it over to Hawaii to view the museums firsthand.

      tj
    • pgbusi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2003
        Just a suggestion.
        Why not contact the University of Hawaii and see if they would be interested
        in Don Blanding?
        Hi to All, Dean

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 2003
          tj

          Certainly ebay has inflated the value of Blanding items, but when you
          have your
          collection appraised, don't you want the prices high? That way if you
          lose it all in a
          fire you will be getting reimbursed fairly. You will also have to pay
          a higher price to
          replace the items. I see higher as better.

          As far as appraising the items ourselves, I'm not sure the insurance
          companies would
          allow that, which is why having an objective appraiser like Mark
          Blackburn might be a
          good idea.

          Who knows what the real value of any collectible is? It's very
          subjective...after all it's
          just pieces of paper. If you watch antiques roadshow you will see
          that the true value
          of any collectible is what someone is willing to pay for it at
          auction...so maybe ebay
          prices aren't all that far off.