Living Trusts - DB

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2003
      This is an open message to all as I am seeking some information and advice. When I retired, my wife and I had a living trust set up and I did not include my extensive Blanding collection into the Trust. So, I am now editing the Trust to include it, so that I know it goes where I want it to go. For years I have been collecting and buying all of DB's stuff that I could afford, as I'm sure most of you know. Now, I want to ensure that it gets to a museum that would know enough about DB to honor his work and the collection. I have in mind either the Great Plains Museum or the Honolulu Academy of Arts, if they would be interested. I'm sure Great Plains would gladly take my collection. I have conflicts with that donation however, as I feel DB's heart and soul was in Hawaii. Additionally, I had hoped that those of us with collections, or prized pieces might also donate to the same museum, which ever it is. I think it would be a shame to not coordinate our efforts in this regard. Any thoughts on this?????
      Secondly, I am planning on having my collection appraised. I'm not sure of how to do this other than calling Butterfields in San Francisco, which might be quite expensive for me. Has anyone been involved in appraisals or could you offer advice on how to do it? My collection is pretty broad, with lots of paper items, newspapers, Vernonware, books and of course Da Box from Carmel that was found. I'm not sure that some appraisers would even know who DB was, I don't want to use that kind of appraiser for sure.
      I'd appreciate any and all info, input, advice, etc. Aloha.....tj
    • mauibandb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13, 2003
        Bet Keith and you could give a pretty fair appraisal with all the trading you
        both do. You could then send it out to the group for comment and boom its on
        the money. Save the money of an appraiser.

        aloha
        Tom

      • Al Dayton
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2003
          This is an opinion and since I was born in Lawton, I am biased even
          though I haven't lived there for over 45 years. I visited DB exhibit at
          the Museum of the Great Plains, the exhibit in Carmel, and the History
          Room at the Hotel in Maui (I think the hotel was the Intercontinental,
          but I think it has change hands since I was there and I do not know the
          new name). At one time, the hotel had a dining room called Hula Moons
          but that has gone away. I got the feeling that the Maui Hotel was not
          that interested but the gentleman running it was. However he seemed
          confused about a few facts and I got the feeling that he might not be at
          the Hotel very long. I don't know if the Honolulu Academy of Arts is
          really interested in DB, but I met and talked to two of the people at
          the Great Plains Museum and I think they would really appreciate the
          collection. Even though DB was a Vagabond, he did return to Lawton
          often and was well thought of by the people of Lawton. I know my
          parents went to hear him on one of his last trips to Lawton. What ever
          you do, I hope it is appreciated.