Chain of love

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2003
      I had purchased 3 color note cards from ebay before I left on the road. I just opened it up and found the following Blanding verse on the Seetheart Vine notecard:

      Some call this little flower "sweetheart vine"
      With hearts of green and pink that flaunt above
      It's Mother Nature's loveliest valentine
      I like its other name "the chain of love".

      So, I guess that is what DB was referring to in the notecard I just purchased from Oregon......tj
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2003
        The "chain of love" is also known as the Mexican creeper and is
        mentioned in several of DB's verses about Hawaiian gardens. It's a
        vine with tiny heart-shaped leaves (or flowers, not sure which) and
        appears in the design for Hawaiian Flowers dinnerware.

        ~~C~~
      • missndn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2003
          Hello everyone,

          Is the chain of love flower also called a Bleeding Heart? It grew in
          the Ozarks where I grew up and I always loved those pink hearts than hung like a
          chain on the vines. Oh, I know Don Blanding and I were kindred spirits. I
          would love to see any of his pen and ink drawings. The only book I have is
          Floridays which is my favorite art and poetry. Like Don, I left the Midwest to
          travel to Hawaii and Florida where I live now. I am an artist and I want to
          paint some paintings that are inspired by Don Blanding's work. What other books
          of his are available? Thanks for any information.

          Alita

        • mauibandb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2003
            They are flowers and we look out at our neighbors yard with them.

            Maui Tom

          • mauibandb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2003
              NO bleeding heart is blood red with white in side in hawaii it prefers
              partial shate . The chain of love is pink-chartreuse and falls llike a wisteria
              except very tiny flowers likes full sun

              aloha
              Maui tom