Ed Sawtelle info?

  • rlalder@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
      Don Blanding was great friends with Ed Sawtelle, the famous organist at the
      Waikiki Theatre. Does anyone have contact information for either of Ed
      Sawtelle's sons? I am trying to gather some history on Ed Sawtelle, particularly his
      time spent in Hawaii.

      Aloha,
      Bob Alder
      Hilo, Hawaii

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2003
        Hello, Bob ...

        In reading the Star-Bulletin microfilm I come across Ed Sawtelle's
        name frequently. Please look in Files: Publications: Honolulu Star-
        Bulletin for whatever material I have posted. Also, you can search
        the group messages by keyword to locate any that contain a mention of
        Ed Sawtelle.

        I do know that Ed's sons are deceased; not sure about any
        grandchildren. Ed was organist at the Hawaii and possibly the
        Princess theaters; he had a nightly radio program beginning in 1927
        and also was involved in many of DB's musical extravaganzas between
        1925 and 1928, probably earlier.

        I've just finished reading 1925 microfilm and and wrapping up 1953.
        One of DB's 1953 S-B columns (in the Hawaiian Life magazine section
        under the general heading, "Vagabond's House") is about Ed and
        Carmen's dogs, Baron and Duchess. The column I read the other night
        is about Baron's obedience training; another from later in the 1950s
        mourns Baron's passing.

        As many of the regulars here know, I have collected a great deal of
        material about DB and his friends from the S-B but have not yet had a
        chance to index all of it. While I am reading the 1954-1955 columns
        this winter, I'm going to try getting the earlier material indexed
        and properly filed.

        If you would like to get an idea of how often Ed Sawtelle is
        mentioned in the S-B or Advertiser, I suggest you get hold of the
        Hawaii Newspaper Index (1929+) via the University of Hawaii or one of
        the community colleges. Using the citations as a guide, you can
        provide me with specific dates and I'll be glad to dig through my
        files.

        My working guide for 1929-1982 has been the citations for Don
        Blanding, but I have usually copied material related to the Sawtelles
        as well. Prior to 1929, the newspapers are not indexed so I have
        read virtually every column inch between 1925 and 1928. I'll tackle
        1923 and 1924 after I've caught up with the 1953-1957 S-B columns
        written weekly by DB.

        In reading the November-December 1953 S-B's I've discovered that even
        the newspaper index is not complete. I knew that the Saturday
        columns do not appear in the index, but I am also finding a few
        mentions of DB that are not in the index either.

        Sigh. I may have a good deal more microfilm in my future than I
        thought!

        ~~Cadia
      • rlalder@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2003
          Hi Cadia and everyone:

          Thanks for the message and info. Actually, I have found some interesting
          stuff, but have been hoping for more photos of Sawtelle. I was the last organist
          at the Waikiki Theatre and have started this webpage as a personal
          memorial...... <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/hilobayatos/WaikikiTheatre.html">WAIKIKI THEATRE</A> and included this info about <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/hilobayatos/Edwin_Sawtelle.html">Edwin Sawtelle</A>

          Aloha,
          Bob Alder
          Hilo

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2003
            I was the last organist at the Waikiki Theatre and have started this webpage
            as a personal memorial <A REF="
            http://www.geocities.com/hilobayatos/Edwin_Sawtelle.html">Edwin Sawtelle</A>

            Aloha,
            Bob Alder
            Hilo

            Aloha Bob,

            Great site. Mahalo for sharing it with us. I am sure his friends and
            family will appreciate it.