Blandingmobile

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 2, 2003
      Well, just got back from my 6 week Blandingmobile trip. I noticed that some of you didn't know what the Blandingmobile was. Well, Keith and I joked back and forth some years ago and we came up with that label for my 1992 29ft, Southwind motorhome. I travel in and at the time I was in the Carmel/Monterey area researching ole' DB. When you go on Keiths site and look at the thank you's, he lists my Blandingmobile. So, that's all it is.......This trip was futile for the most part. I went to most every antique shop and junk shop on my trip and most of the dealers hadn't even heard of DB. I only found one interesting item in Ashland Oregon but no big surprises for sure. Oh well, I had fun. I have 4 years of research in the Carmel Pine Cone to complete most of my Carmel/Monterey reviews. Then I can begin to collate my info into more concise form.
      Doesn't look like much activity on the net while I was gone. Too bad....tj
    • melinda young
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
        Hi!
        I am a new member of aloha-donblanding and have been a
        devoted fan since 1960. Do you have a photo of your
        Blandingmobile? It sounds like fun and would be most
        appreciated by old Don Himself.
        Melinda

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • missndn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
          Hi,

          I don't have any information to share except that I love Don Blanding's art
          and his poetry as I suppose you all do. What kind of company am I in, can you
          describe the type of people who like Blanding's works?

          MissNDN

        • melinda young
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
            Hi!
            I don't know about the others, but I love Don
            Blandings art and poetry because it evokes memories of
            time past and the lore of the tropics.The time before
            WWII when Hawaii was a simple paradise and the West
            Coast of the US was still a dreamm destination for so
            many. His art, original and romantic, was very
            indicative of his time,,,art deco etc. But his poetry
            is not unlike singing the blues or appreciating the
            wonders of the blue's music. Easily understood in
            plain English.What thinking person wouldn't want to
            have and live in the Vagabond House? To me he is often
            so blatently sentimental it's funny, but at others,
            it's wonderous because it makes you feel so bad that
            it makes you feel very good. His work is often the
            personification of the wishing and wanting of things
            that either might have been but never were or that
            were and you deeply regret. He is part of my love for
            Hawaii and the West Coast and his understanding of it
            which is timeless.

            At one time I had many of his poetry books but have
            lost them ....so if anyone has some or one for sale
            let me know.
            Holymola1

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
              Check E-Bay

            • Helen Allen
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                I was lucky enough to be raised on singing around the piano (as my Mom
                played piano and Dad played any instrument) and listening to my Dad read Don
                Blanding poetry. Nine children and we all love his poetry and all seem to
                think of the same lines from special poems at the same time. We also
                listened to the old tape reel to reel of Don Blanding reading some of his
                poems. What a wonderful legacy - I hope to pass it on to my children and
                grandchildren.