Jessie Bacon Blanding (Don's older sister)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2003
      ENID DAILY WAVE
      TUESDAY, APRIL 11, 1899

      Miss Jessie Bacon Blanding, who was laid to rest Monday afternoon,
      was born in Anoka, Minn., March 15, 1876. When she was about a year
      old, the family moved to Aberdeen, Minn., thence to Garden City,
      Kas., thence to Kingfisher, Oklahoma City and Enid. In this list of
      towns she grew up much loved and respected, every one who knew her
      was her friend.

      She was educated and graduated from the public schools, but while
      living in Oklahoma City she attended a private German school which
      language she could talk quite fluently; she also took music lessons
      almost from infancy, hence was well educated in music.

      Miss Blanding was a member of the Episcopal church, but since her
      residence here has worshiped with the Presbyterian people. She died
      surrounded by her parents, brothers and close friends Saturday
      evening, April 8, 1899, of pneumonia, both lungs being affected. The
      funeral was well attended by the legions of mourning friends of the
      deceased. The funeral sermon was preached by the Rev. L. C. Walters,
      which was very impressive indeed. The church and burial case were
      handsomely decorated with a profusion of flowers.

      The singing of Mr. F. M. McClane on this occasion seemed to be
      inspired as it rolled through the church and the souls of the
      audience.

      The pall bearers were Messrs. Archie W. Anderson, F. C. Champlin,
      Dr. E. F. K. Sparks, E. Watrous, V. W. Whiting and W. E. Cogdal.

      With these few sentences the WAVE bids a sad farewell to one of
      Enid's jewels. God only can heal the wounds her sudden departure
      has
      made upon those who loved and respected her.

      NOTES: We can assume that Jessie lived in Oklahoma City while the
      rest of the family resided in Enid or Kingfisher, perhaps boarding
      at the private German school. I did not know that the family ever
      lived in Kansas. When Jesse died, she was engaged to be married.
      Perhaps one of the pallbearers was her fiance.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2003
        Thank you, Keith, for finding Jessie's obituary. Since we know that
        Hugh Ross Blanding and Ida Kimble [Bacon] were married on October 24,
        1881, in Wabasha, Minnesota, this confirms that Jessie is DB's older
        half-sister.

        I believe her father may have been Edwin Harlan Bacon, b. October 29,
        1847 in Pulaski, Illinois, and d. April 29, 1877, probably in
        Minnesota. Edwin was the eldest child of Alvin G. Bacon and Phebe
        Warren Briscoe. Edwin Bacon married Ida Kimble about 1872.

        If Ida (b. February 1855) was a young widow in 1877, it is very
        possible that she joined relatives in Garden City, Kansas -- perhaps
        her older sister Sarah Kimble Hudson? My atlas does not list an
        Aberdeen, Minnesota; possibly the reference in the obituary is to
        Aberdeen, Dakota Territory (SD)

        On the 1880 census, Hugh, his parents and siblings are listed in
        Wapehton, Richland, Dakota Territory.

        By September 1881, Ida was back in Minnesota and Hugh Blanding was in
        Aberdeen, Dakota Territory (SD), to which they returned after their
        marriage. They were still living in Aberdeen in 1884, along with
        Ida's brother Charles Kimble.

        We know that DB was born November 7, 1894, in Kingfisher, Oklahoma
        Territory, and that the family arrived in Enid by 1899. Possibly
        they resided in Oklahoma City briefly before 1899. The Blanding
        family removed to Lawton in 1901, where DB's brother Hugh W. died in
        1902.

        I am tentatively in contact with researchers of the Bacon family, who
        appear to have little or no information about Ida Kimble.

        ~~C~~