Honolulu Star-Bulletin August 11-December 10, 1925

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25 10:28 AM
      Just began reading a fresh batch of microfilm from the 1925 Star-
      Bulletin. The first roll yielded only a mention that Frances
      Parkinson Keyes was presented a copy of DB's "Leaves from a Grass
      House" ["Hut" as printed by the S-B!] by the Ladies Reading Club at
      Schofield Barracks. And there was a nice editorial about carrying
      forward the name "Royal Hawaiian" for a new hotel at Waikiki.

      Then, just as I was about to give up on that roll, whammo! This
      story appears on August 27, page 1:

      Don Blanding to
      Wed Miss Norton,
      Is Announcement

      Honolulu Artist and Poet
      Betrothed to Bishop
      Museum Ethnologist

      The engagement of Don Blanding, well known and popular Honolulu
      artist and poet, to Miss Ruth Norton is being told to their friends
      this week.

      Miss Norton is also well known locally and recently accepted a
      position as ethnologist at the Bishop Museum. Blanding is the author
      of "Paradise Loot," "Leaves From a Grass House," and other books of
      verse, and is a prominent illustrator. He directed the production of
      the musical comedy revue, "Tropic Topics," which was a tremendous
      success several months ago when put on by members of the Junior
      League, and has also trained and costumed pageants for several Quat'z
      Arts balls.

      The wedding will probably be in the fall and next year Blanding and
      his bride plan on taking a trip to the South Seas. Miss Norton's
      mother is arriving in a week.

      Miss Norton was formerly the wife of Dr. Stevenson Smith, head of the
      psychology department of the University of Washington and an eminent
      scholar. During the college year, 1923-24, when on leave of absence
      from his own university, Dr. Smith joined the faculty of the
      University of Hawaii, where he did experiment work and presented work
      of great interest. The Smiths were divorced in April of this year,
      at Seattle, and Mrs. Smith resumed her maiden name.

      **********

      OK, we know that DB was still a bachelor when he left Honolulu for
      Hollywood in early 1926, so further reading should be interesting!

      Also, "Leaves From a Grass House" (1923) and "Paradise Loot" (May
      1925) are the only books of verse credited to DB as of August 1927.
      Does this story suggest there are other early books to be found, or
      is this just a copy editor's error?

      I think Smith Hall on the UW campus is named for Dr. Stevenson Smith;
      the psych department is in that building.

      Off to the library again this afternoon ....

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 25 6:38 PM
        Cadia...what a find!

        I will try and find out all I can on Ruth Norton. Too bad she had
        such a common name. That's twice he was engaged to be married and
        didn't go through with it...ten years earlier he was engaged to Majel
        G. Claflin.