Re: Frederick J. O'brien

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 18, 2003
    • MICHAEL BROOKMAN
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 18, 2003
        Wow! Was it that long ago you posted? I remember it. Time flys. I've got the obit from O'Brien. My great uncle George Nagle f/SF had it in "Mystic Isles of the South Seas." It is dated January 10, 1932 and titled "Death Claims O'Brien, Noted World Writer." Uncle George included no less than 4 SF Examiner articles about O'Brien. The book was written in 1921 and given to my uncle in 1930. I'll scan the dust jacket and zap it to the group. I guess I'll have to read the book now and see if there are any allusions to DB. michael

        keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:
        Michael,

        I would also love to find out if they met. I posted the following
        message in March 2001:

        "Frederick J. O'Brien, whose 'White Shadows in the South Seas' placed
        him in the front rank of travel writers, came across a copy (of
        Vagabond's House) and wrote Blanding, 'Yours are the first authentic
        poems I've seen of the tropics. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed
        your book. It stirred many memories of my life in Hawaii at the
        beginning of the century and since.'"

        It was from a thesis written on Blanding in 1937.

      • MICHAEL BROOKMAN

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 21, 2003
            Michael B.,

            A transcription of Chapter 1 of the 1937 thesis by Mildred Maureen
            Maloney is at

            http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-thesis.html

            I am working on additional chapters.

            ~~Cadia