Frederick J. O'brien

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 18, 2003
      Michael,

      I would also love to find out if they met. I posted the following
      message in March 2001:

      "Frederick J. O'Brien, whose 'White Shadows in the South Seas' placed
      him in the front rank of travel writers, came across a copy (of
      Vagabond's House) and wrote Blanding, 'Yours are the first authentic
      poems I've seen of the tropics. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed
      your book. It stirred many memories of my life in Hawaii at the
      beginning of the century and since.'"

      It was from a thesis written on Blanding in 1937.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 18, 2003
      • MICHAEL BROOKMAN
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 18, 2003
          Wow! Was it that long ago you posted? I remember it. Time flys. I've got the obit from O'Brien. My great uncle George Nagle f/SF had it in "Mystic Isles of the South Seas." It is dated January 10, 1932 and titled "Death Claims O'Brien, Noted World Writer." Uncle George included no less than 4 SF Examiner articles about O'Brien. The book was written in 1921 and given to my uncle in 1930. I'll scan the dust jacket and zap it to the group. I guess I'll have to read the book now and see if there are any allusions to DB. michael

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 21, 2003
              Michael B.,

              A transcription of Chapter 1 of the 1937 thesis by Mildred Maureen
              Maloney is at

              http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-thesis.html

              I am working on additional chapters.

              ~~Cadia