Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Plate holders

  • MICHAEL BROOKMAN
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 18, 2003
      Speaking of illustration styles, there was an author from the 10's named O'Brien. I think his first name was William. He wrote about the south seas and used the same style that DB adopted. O'Brien died in the SF Bay Area in the early 30's. I've often wondered if they met/knew each other. I know it was discussed here before, but I'd like to see something more solid one way or the other. michael

      Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:Michael ...

      Yes, isn't it strange how similar illustration styles seem to
      materialize from nowhere? I've experienced the same phenomenon,
      although not so much with DB "look-alikes" as with other artists.
      Sometimes I think it's just coincidence.

      As for finding e-mail addies of other group members -- that's easy.
      The Members list is accessible to all group members. Also, by
      clicking on the member ID above any message, one can privately e-mail
      that person, even if the e-mail address is not visible.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 18, 2003
        Michael,

        I would also love to find out if they met. I posted the following
        message in March 2001:

        "Frederick J. O'Brien, whose 'White Shadows in the South Seas' placed
        him in the front rank of travel writers, came across a copy (of
        Vagabond's House) and wrote Blanding, 'Yours are the first authentic
        poems I've seen of the tropics. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed
        your book. It stirred many memories of my life in Hawaii at the
        beginning of the century and since.'"

        It was from a thesis written on Blanding in 1937.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 18, 2003
        • MICHAEL BROOKMAN
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 18, 2003
            Wow! Was it that long ago you posted? I remember it. Time flys. I've got the obit from O'Brien. My great uncle George Nagle f/SF had it in "Mystic Isles of the South Seas." It is dated January 10, 1932 and titled "Death Claims O'Brien, Noted World Writer." Uncle George included no less than 4 SF Examiner articles about O'Brien. The book was written in 1921 and given to my uncle in 1930. I'll scan the dust jacket and zap it to the group. I guess I'll have to read the book now and see if there are any allusions to DB. michael

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 21, 2003
                Michael B.,

                A transcription of Chapter 1 of the 1937 thesis by Mildred Maureen
                Maloney is at

                http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-thesis.html

                I am working on additional chapters.

                ~~Cadia