Re: Plate holders

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 17, 2003
      Bob B.,

      This discussion group is for research on Don Blanding, not plate
      holders. However, as it happens, I buy acrylic 7" plate holders at
      the local dollar store. The larger 10" holders are harder to find,
      but I do have a source in Massachusetts from which I order display
      products.

      If you or any other member of the DB group would like more
      information, please e-mail me privately, not to the group.

      Thanks,

      ~~Cadia

      duchess@...
    • Michael Pfeffer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 17, 2003
        Cadia,
        My apologies, Bob probably lost me email and used the group as a way to find me. . .will email him privately as we are both in Hawaii and get this thread off-line. . .

        Regarding DB stuff, I have been having an interesting experience that I am sure many of you have had when you buy a car and suddenly you see the same kind of car everywhere you go. Since I have become such an avid DB fan and have been collecting his stuff I have started to see business signs all over the place that have what can only be described as "vintage DB" style logos. In fact, many are more or less the same as DB prints from Hula Moons and other popular books. I guess it is an honor of sorts that his works have quietly pervaded so many Hawaiian businesses and become icons of "Hawaiiana." As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

        Aloha,
        Michael
        This discussion group is for research on Don Blanding, not plate
        holders. However, as it happens, I buy acrylic 7" plate holders at
        the local dollar store. The larger 10" holders are harder to find,
        but I do have a source in Massachusetts from which I order display
        products.

        If you or any other member of the DB group would like more
        information, please e-mail me privately, not to the group.

        Thanks,

        ~~Cadia

        duchess@...

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 17, 2003
          Michael ...

          Yes, isn't it strange how similar illustration styles seem to
          materialize from nowhere? I've experienced the same phenomenon,
          although not so much with DB "look-alikes" as with other artists.
          Sometimes I think it's just coincidence.

          As for finding e-mail addies of other group members -- that's easy.
          The Members list is accessible to all group members. Also, by
          clicking on the member ID above any message, one can privately e-mail
          that person, even if the e-mail address is not visible.

          ~~Cadia
        • MICHAEL BROOKMAN

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 18, 2003
              Michael,

              I would also love to find out if they met. I posted the following
              message in March 2001:

              "Frederick J. O'Brien, whose 'White Shadows in the South Seas' placed
              him in the front rank of travel writers, came across a copy (of
              Vagabond's House) and wrote Blanding, 'Yours are the first authentic
              poems I've seen of the tropics. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed
              your book. It stirred many memories of my life in Hawaii at the
              beginning of the century and since.'"

              It was from a thesis written on Blanding in 1937.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 18, 2003
              • MICHAEL BROOKMAN
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 18, 2003
                  Wow! Was it that long ago you posted? I remember it. Time flys. I've got the obit from O'Brien. My great uncle George Nagle f/SF had it in "Mystic Isles of the South Seas." It is dated January 10, 1932 and titled "Death Claims O'Brien, Noted World Writer." Uncle George included no less than 4 SF Examiner articles about O'Brien. The book was written in 1921 and given to my uncle in 1930. I'll scan the dust jacket and zap it to the group. I guess I'll have to read the book now and see if there are any allusions to DB. michael

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 21, 2003
                      Michael B.,

                      A transcription of Chapter 1 of the 1937 thesis by Mildred Maureen
                      Maloney is at

                      http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-thesis.html

                      I am working on additional chapters.

                      ~~Cadia