Re: [aloha-donblanding] blue coral reef collection

  • Michael Pfeffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2003
      Hello and welcome,
      There are many members who are more knowledgable than I,
      but I will take a stab at it. Your blue Coral Reef pieces
      were made between 1938 adn 1940, most likely 1938 or 1939.
      The pattern was only made for one year and came in blue,
      maroon, pink, medium pink, and orange. Blue is quite
      desirable and, along with maroon, the most common of the
      colors (although all are quite rare). Blanding, Walt
      Disney and Rockwell Kent were hired by Gale Turnbull (art
      director at Vernon) to design transferware patterns to
      compete with the Europeans. DB made four basic patterns:
      coral reef, glamour, hawaiian flowers, and aquarium.
      Aquarium is hand painted, while the rest are transfers,
      although some have hand tinting (e.g., Lei Lani, Hilo,
      Honolulu, Ecstasy, Joy, Delight). No hand tinting was
      ever done for production for Coral Reef, although I do
      have a unique 12 3/4 inch maroon coral reef chop plate
      that was hand tinted by the shop foreman. All in all you
      have some of the most desirable and rare pieces made by
      DB.

      Hope that helps, Michael

      On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:29:43 -0000
      "ceswichita" <pjzcara@...> wrote:

      Michael T. Pfeffer
      President& CEO
      Persis Corporation
      808-599-8059
    • ceswichita
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2003
        HI, I JOINED YOUR GROUP TO LEARN MORE ABOUT A COLLECTION I HAVE
        AQUIRED. SEVERAL PIECES OF THE BLUE CORAL REEF PATTERN BY DB. I
        HAVE LEARNED ALOT ABOUT THIS MAN BUT NOT MUCH ABOUT THE HISTORY WITH
        VERNON KILNS AND THE POTTERY. UNABLE TO LOCATE A COPY OF MAXINE
        NELSON'S BOOK ABOUT VERNON KILNS, DOES ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS FOR MY
        RESEARCH????

        THANKS, JULIE