Salinas

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2003
      tj is 50 miles from Salinas. Keith, if you get info from Woodard, let me know and I can drive there in short order. I have a special interest in this and trying to uncover the secrets of this box I own. I've traced this box back to around the mid-1970's with previous owners and no one knows how the box arrived at the Vagabond House Inn. Edithe died around 1974 or so, which makes the box being left at the Vagabond at about the right time. The owner prior to 1975 is still alive but having memory problems. Her son is attempting to get info but hasn't found anything significant yet. I believe that much of what is in this box belonged to Edithe, though much of it relates to DB. It is a hodgepodge collection of their things, so I believe. I have information that suggests their were two boxes, though I only have one. The second box contained textile materials that DB designed, so it is rumored. There was a flood in the 80's that got into Carmel basements and the rumor is that the second box got very soaked and may have been discarded. I'm still tracing this in Carmel as we speak. My 90 year old informant is very aware and capable but this is as far as she can take me on this subject. She did say that DB and Edithe were a "hot" item in Carmel and were very sweet on each other (then she blushed)......she was cute.....tj
    • Karen Cotter
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2003
        tj - have you ever talked to Chuck and Patsy Watt? They managed the
        Vagabond until 1976 when they left Carmel and bought the BenBow Inn in
        Garberville. I knew them from 1976 to around 1988, the last time I stayed
        there and then lost track of them. I do know they retired and moved out of
        the area about 6 years ago. They were very much into antiques....I wouldn't
        be surprised if they would know something about that box. I have no
        idea where they went as the BenBow has changed hands twice since they left
        according to an e-mail I sent and the current owners are blank on the
        subject. If any of you DB folk have good search capability you might check
        for Charles/Chuck/Patsy Watt. Karen C

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2003