Another New York Tribune column

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
      Cadia,

      I received my Fall 1924 NY Tribune microfilm. I've only had time to
      skim, but did come across another article by Blanding titled "Luau,
      Hawaiian Feast, Comes To The Institute" dated October 26, 1924.

      The bonus is a 4"x5" photo of Don preparing the Luau in a kitchen.

      Also, the poem "Poi," which appears in 'Leaves From A Grass House'
      and 'Vagabond's House' appears in full.

      I don't think I'll have time to transcribe this one, but I will mail
      a copy to you, along with whatever other articles I may find.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
        Thanks, Keith...

        After a summer of study and travel in Europe, I would imagine that
        Don had to earn a living once he arrived in New York. Writing pieces
        for the Trib may have been what paid the rent, so I'm hoping you'll
        find much more!

        Just now I am again reading microfilm from the Star-Bulletin, mid-
        1925. DB was certainly a busy boy! May 29 was the Quat'z Arts Ball
        for which he produced a revue, followed on June 3 and 5 by "Tropic
        Topics" for the Junior League. There's a photo of DB in costume for
        the latter; I'll do the best I can from a really bad newspaper image.

        Just a thought: Michael P, can you find out if the Junior League or
        Honolulu Academy of the Arts have archived photos from those 1920s-
        30s productions?