Dr. Lovell

  • tjmarkle2003
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2003
      Have any of the "oldtimers" of the group made contact with Dr. Lovell? I
      think that Bev, Keith and I have attempted to communicate unsuccessfully with
      him at different points. Yesterday, I phoned him in Washington State but now
      his number has been disconnected. I am going to send a letter next and see
      if it is returned. I believe Dr. Lovell would have been in his late 80's or into
      his 90's and perhaps he has passed on. All of us wanted to see what
      research he had completed on DB and he continually threatened to write a
      Bio on DB, but never did. I hope we haven't lost an opportunity to gather info
      that he possessed. I did speak with his wife at one point, however, she was
      not very good on the phone and not at all receptive to anything I was talking
      about. Perhaps she is still around.....any ideas out there?? Anyone in
      Washington State willing to go to the address I have and see what
      happens???? tj
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2003
        Both Charles Lovell and his wife, Julie, passed away in 2002. He was
        82 when he died on May 9; she preceded him on April 9 at 79. The
        Tacoma News Tribune published obituaries which you may read at

        http://classifieds.tribnet.com/Obits/Listing.asp

        I believe his son, known as Kirk Charles, still lives in the Seattle-
        Tacoma area.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2003
          Cadia

          What a shock to hear that Charles and his wife had both passed away
          last
          year. I spoke to them both on the phone a few years ago, but they
          were both
          hard to converse with because of hearing and memory loss.

          I spoke to his son Kirk this morning and expressed my condolences. He
          said
          that Charles had worked on the Blanding bio for decades, but never
          really got
          very far with it. He had maybe 75 pages of double spaced copy, and
          that
          manuscript disappeared. When Kirk was handling the estate, there
          wasn't
          very much left of anything. He thinks Charles might have accidentally
          thrown it
          away a few years ago when the elderly couple relocated to a small
          apartment.

          What papers he did find were willed to a friend in Texas, but it
          wasn't much.
          The papers repeated themselves often, Kirk said. Kirk will email me
          the name
          of the Texas friend when he finds it.

          Kirk is a professional writer himself, and he described his father as
          one of
          those people who researched and researched for years but never really
          got
          his book together (sounds like me...ha!) He said there were always
          rumors
          going around that Charles' book was completed and about to be
          published,
          but it simply wasn't true.

          ~ Keith
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2003
            Sorry to hear they are gone. The LovellÂ’s said their son lived in Seattle.
            Cadia, do you find him in the phone book there?

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 30, 2003
              Yes, Bev, I have a phone number and e-mail address for Kirk. He is a
              professional magician and does not use the surname Lovell. I met
              Kirk once, about 1989 or 1990, when he bought a Lei Lani salt shaker
              from me as a Christmas stocking stuffer for his dad.

              By the way, since the link to the Tacoma News-Tribune does not go
              directly to the archives, I've copied both obituaries to the Files.

              ~~C~~
            • mauibandb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2003
                What is the address for Dr. Lovell? He came and did some poetry readings for
                me in the early 90's for a May Day Don Blanding Poetry Competition we held at
                the Maui Inter-continental. I met his wife as well. I will travel to
                Seattle and Olympia in the fall. I could look them up?
                Yes and he was threatening to write the book then as well, it is something he
                had been working on before his retirement. He was able to interview a number
                of those who knew Don and have now passed.
                aloha
                Maui Tom

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2003
                  Maui Tom...

                  Perhaps you didn't see my earlier messages. Both Dr. Lovell and his
                  wife passed away in the spring of 2002. Keith has been in contact
                  with their son but it appears doubtful that any DB manuscript or
                  research remains. To lose all that work would be a real shame; we can
                  only hope the material surfaces with a relative or friend and has not
                  been tossed.

                  ~~Cadia
                • mauibandb@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2003