[aloha-donblanding] Re: Don Blanding genealogy

  • MauiBandB@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2000
      Bill Boyd Outrigger Wailea Hotel should have a copy of his year book at
      Lawton High School which should document his year of graduation. I believe
      it was the same year he left for Hawai'i. I procured it from Blandings
      Friend Northe.

      aloha
      Tom
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2000
        Great! The more documentation the better. I believe DB graduated
        Lawton in 1912; he then spent some time at the Art Institute of Chicago
        and was on his way back to Oklahoma from there when he saw "Bird of
        Paradise" in KC.

        ~~C~~

        mauiband-@... wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/aloha-donblanding/?start=
        32

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 22, 2000
          Found the notes, made in January 1998, that I forwarded to a correspondent who is a distant relative of Don Blanding; however, I no longer have a current e-mail address for this person.

          ********************

          I received some information from my contact in Wisconsin. It looks like Joseph M Blanding and Maria Blanding were Hugh Ross Blanding's parents, per the Grant County 1850 census. They had 2 children, James and Emma, at that time.

          The appear in Waterstown, Grant Co., in 1860, although Joseph M seems to be recorded as Joseph W. The best information appears in the 1870 census, Lancaster, Grant Co., WI. Here, it appears that James C. as an adult is no longer in the household, and that there were 8 other children including Don Blanding's father, Hugh Ross Blanding. I am including the Polk County references as well, though I don't know what relationship, if any, they may have to the Grant County Blandings.

          The 1860 census has additional Waterstown names that may not belong to the Joseph and Maria household.

          Do you have any information on your own family that would support these names and locations?

          Below is the verbatim e-mail that I received:

          [Joseph & Maria...DB's grandparents?]
          1850 census Grant Co District 24 page 52
          August 20th 1850 Joseph M Blanding 30 Farmer worth $1000 Born PA
          Maria 21 born WI
          James 2 born WI
          Emma 5/12 born WI

          ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

          1860 census index:
          Could not find them in the city or by page number given...seems to be 2 families in separate counties

          Polk Co, St Croix Falls
          CM
          Eliza
          Eliza Anne
          Eugene
          Frank
          John
          Josephine
          May
          Seymour
          William

          Grant Co, Waterstown
          Emma
          Hugh R
          James C
          Jesse M
          Joseph W
          Maria
          Mary E
          Morris D

          ----------------------------------------------------------------------- --------

          1870 Polk Co St Croix

          Amos, Eliza, Eliza, Emma, Eugene, Franklin, Frederick, John
          Mary, Josephine, May, Parley, Mira, Sarah, Seymour, William

          1870 Richland Co, Richwood
          Brazilla, Mary A, Walter

          1870 Oconto Co, Pestigo
          MM

          [Joseph & Maria appear to be Hugh Ross Blanding's parents...DB's grandparents.] 1870 Grant Co, Lancaster

          Joseph 52 Surveyor worth $3000, $500 born PA
          Maria 42 born WI
          Emma 20 born WI
          Hugh 18 born WI
          Jessie (female) 16 born WI
          Libbie 12 born WI
          Walter 10 born WI
          Joseph 8 born WI
          Sheridan 4 born WI
          Frank 2 born WI

          ************************************

          Can anyone offer any further information about these Blandings? Please feel free to dive in here...any genealogists among us?

          ~~Cadia

        • Curt Blanding
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 23, 2000
            I am doing genealogy research on the Blanding family and I
            have information on the Blandings in St. Croix, WI

            Eluna Martin Blanding b. 14 Feb 1800 PA d. 16 Sep 1872 WI
            Eluna was born in Thompson, PA and moved to St. Croix, WI in the 1850s
            married Eliza Tuttle b. 29 Oct 1808 and had nine children
            1 William Martin b. 30 Jan 1829 d. 17 Dec 1901
            1sp Eliza Marie Tuttle b. 17 Jun 1842 and had 5 children before 1870
            11 Seymour b. 13 Apr 1859
            12 Josephine Flavia b. 26 Apr 1863

            13 Tuttle Parley b. 21 Feb 1865
            14 Amos b. 21 Mar 1867
            15 Emma Ruth b. 21 Jul 1869
            16 - nine other children born after 1870

            2 Mary Caroline b. 10 Jan 1831 d. 8 Dec 1848
            3 John Henry b. 8 May 1833 d. 17 Apr 1903
            3sp m. 15 Sep 1866 Sarah E, Worth
            4 Eugene Edward b. 29 Mar 1836 d. 1905
            5 Josephine Eliza b. 19 Jan 1838 d. 5 Jan 1924
            6 Flavia Corger b. 21 Mar 1840 d. 13 Apr 1890
            7 Frank Pratt b. 18 Apr 1849 d. 26 Dec 1924
            8 Mary Caroline b. 16 Apr 1852 d. 22 May 1883
            9 Frederic James b. 21 Oct 1854 d. 30 Jan 1888

            This accounts for all of the names listed in 1870 in Polk Co, WI.

            I beleive that Eluna was an Uncle to DB's grandfather (Joseph)
            but I have not not yet been able to find conclusive evidence of that.
            Eluna had a brother Joseph b. 1793 PA d. 1819 PA and I beleive that it was
            his son Joseph that moved to Wisconsin and married Maria. But, so far, I
            have not been able to find records to establish this. IF this is true,
            then I do have the ancestry from here all the way back to a
            Baron DeBlondin approx. 1480 in France.

            >>1870 Polk Co St Croix
            >>
            >>Amos, Eliza, Eliza, Emma, Eugene, Franklin, Frederick, John
            >>Mary, Josephine, May, Parley, Mira, Sarah, Seymour, William
            >>
            >>1870 Richland Co, Richwood
            >>Brazilla, Mary A, Walter
            >>
            >>1870 Oconto Co, Pestigo
            >>MM
            >>
            >>[Joseph & Maria appear to be Hugh Ross Blanding's parents...DB's
            >>grandparents.] 1870 Grant Co, Lancaster
            >>
            >>Joseph 52 Surveyor worth $3000, $500 born PA
            >>Maria 42 born WI
            >>Emma 20 born WI
            >>Hugh 18 born WI
            >>Jessie (female) 16 born WI
            >>Libbie 12 born WI
            >>Walter 10 born WI
            >>Joseph 8 born WI
            >>Sheridan 4 born WI
            >>Frank 2 born WI

            >>Can anyone offer any further information about these Blandings?
            >>Please feel free to dive in here...any genealogists among us?
            >>
            >>~~Cadia

            Sorry for the rather lengthy message.

            Curt Blanding