Re: [aloha-donblanding] Honolulu Star-Bulletin, January 1 - April 15, 1925

  • Michael Pfeffer
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2003
      Cadia,
      Fascinating reading. Interesting to note DB's
      relationship with a number of high profile Hawaiian
      artists. David Howard Hitchcock is perhaps the best known
      "native" artist (he was born and raised in Hawaii). He
      studied in France and was a student of the famous Jules
      Tavernier (who is perhaps best known for his paintings of
      Hawaiian volcanoes, American Indian encampments and
      Yosemite). Madge Tennant is another well known Hawaiian
      artist, as was Huc Lucquiens. Lucquiens deserves note as
      it relates to DB because he is famous for his etchings and
      taught the process at the University of Hawaii for many
      years. Perhaps DB learned from him??? It would make
      sense as he had to learn from someone and this is the
      first mention I have heard connecting him to Huc.

      Thanks for all of the research! aloha, michael

      ps, picked up that 16.5 Joy chop plate so now I need the
      big chop in maroon and blue glamour, ecstasy, and orange
      Coral Reef and the collection will be complete. If anyone
      has one they want to sell please let me know!

      On Sat, 31 May 2003 21:00:53 -0000
      "Cadia Los" <duchess@...> wrote:

      Michael T. Pfeffer
      President& CEO
      Persis Corporation
      808-599-8059
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2003
        I have finished reading microfilm for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin from
        January 1 through April 15, 1925, and would like to share some bits
        of information.

        Beginning in December 1924, a Hawaii and South Seas art exhibit was
        shown at the Los Angeles Museum of History, Science and Art. Don
        Blanding was NOT part of this exhibit, but familiar names include A.
        S. MacLeod, Frank Moore and Howard Hitchcock. (Hitchcock later
        painted the murals for the Malolo.) The exhibit also appeared in San
        Francisco and other California cities.

        January 10, 1925: A photo of Mrs. Edwin Sawtelle appears in the
        Pictorial Section. She was sailing for San Francisco for a visit.
        The microfilm copy is not very good, but I'll try a scan later.

        February 13, 1925: Don Blanding was among 481 passengers (44 bound
        for Honolulu) aboard the Pacific Mail liner President Taft which
        arrived from San Francisco. After four days of stormy weather, the
        Taft made port shortly before 8 a.m. "On the last 24 hours of her
        trip from the coast she reeled off 435 miles and made the trip in
        five days and 19 hours."

        February 13, 1925: A photo and article about DB's return to Hawaii
        after 8 months in Paris, London and New York appears on p. 1. I will
        transcribe and include in Files. The article mentions an upcoming DB
        book to be published in October 1925 by G. P. Putnam -- "Vagabond's
        Loot." I would guess this to be "Paradise Loot."

        February 16, 1925: An amusing verse by Douglas Craig "with apologies
        to Don Blanding" appears in the Howard Case column "Down to Cases."
        I will transcribe.

        February 18, 1925: "Blanding Lauds Isles in Talk" is the headline
        about DB's talk before the Honolulu Ad Club luncheon meeting. I will
        transcribe.

        February 21, 1925: Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Tennent (Madge Tennent) gave a
        fancy dress party on February 16 in honor of Don Blanding, who came
        as an "art student." I will transcribe.

        March 7, 1925: Mr. & Mrs. John Trenhome Warren (Grace Tower Warren)
        entertained the preceding Saturday evening [February 28] in honor of
        several individuals. It was also their 16th wedding anniversary. On
        the extensive guest list were Governor & Mrs. Wallace R.
        Farrington ... and Don Blanding. I will transcribe.

        March 16, 1925: A lengthy report of the Hawaiian Tourist Bureau work
        in 1924 gives a very good idea of how much effort went into promoting
        Hawaii as a destination. We all like to think that DB single-
        handedly put Hawaii on the map with his books -- and certainly his
        later popularity helped -- but Hawaii, San Francisco, Los Angeles and
        Seattle all participated in promoting tourism to the islands.

        March 21, 1925: Madge Tennent shared exhibit space several weeks
        with Huc Luquiens at the Cross-Roads Studio. Of particular interest
        to me is that her work included "characteristic sketches of Don
        Blanding." I will transcribe.

        March 24, 1925: A report of the Hawaii Tourist Bureau for February
        1925 details publicity efforts. Several publicationbs are
        mentioned. I will transcribe parts that may lead to further
        background information on the Hawaii of the 1920s.

        March 25, 1925: A nice article about the Cross-Roads Studio as an
        art center for Honolulu. I will transcribe.

        March 28, 1925: The Junior League was making plans for "Tropic
        Topics," its June 3 entertainment at the Princess theater ... under
        the direction of Don Blanding. I will transcribe.

        March 28, 1925: "Nalana Write of Honolulu's Society Folk" by Nalani
        Windsor, a regular "letter" column, leads off with speculation about
        a Quat'z Arts ball, based solely on the fact that DB and his friend
        James A. Wilder are both back in Honolulu. I will transcribe the
        relevant portion of the column.

        April 4, 1925: Sure enough, the Quat'z Arts ball, the fund raising
        activity of the Hawaiian Academy of Design, will take place May
        22. "The spectacle, which, according to custom, takes 45 minutes and
        preceeds the ball, will be under the direction of Don Blanding."
        Actuallym, the subheadline says April 22, so future microfilm reading
        will have to clear up the date discrepancy.

        April 4, 1925: DB's poem "The Candle Maker" along with an
        illustration appears on p. 2 of the Second Section. There is no
        mention of Ching Chong, so I believe this is likely the first
        publication of the poem later revised and dedicated to the real
        Honolulu candle maker. I will transcribe.

        April 4, 1925: A brief mention of the upcoming June 3 Junior League
        production. I will transcribe.

        April 11, 1925: A new DB poem, "Secret Place" appears with an
        illustration of koa leaves on p. 2 of the Second Section. This poem
        later appeared in Paradise Loot and Vagabond's HOuse.

        Completely unrelated to Blanding and Hawaii, the April 8, 1925, S-B
        includes an article about the proposed Gutzon Borglum sculpture in
        the Black Hills of South Dakota. The illustration shows "colossal
        statues of Washington and Lincoln" that do not look at all like what
        eventually became Mt. Rushmore's Presidential foursome. Lincoln is
        shown as a young man and Washington wears a tricorne hat.

        Looking forward to the next batch of 1925 microfilm, probably in July.

        ~~C~~