Re: [aloha-donblanding] sorry to burst your bubble, but. . .:)

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2003
      -------Original Message-------
      From: Michael Pfeffer <mpfeffer@...>
      Sent: 05/03/03 07:17 PM
      To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [aloha-donblanding] sorry to burst your bubble, but. . .:)

      Well, the bubble isn't burst. All the fish I saw on Maui did not breath out bubbles...smile...all the bubbles were from me. I just figured DB or one of the Vernon artists thought they were cute or something. I remember my mom's ceramic fish on the wall with bubbles going up also.
      As to show and tell, I'll go through some of my books and see what is there. I have a few interesting tidbits. Off the cuff, my prized piece in my collection are the antherium earrings on a card with a DB poem on it. My wife wants to wear them to a Hawaiian luau we are going to this month..hmmmmm. I also found a BARD front piece of Edithe Hope Genee's that was in the Carmel box I found and on the back of it was her ownership document for the BARD. Kind of interesting being as though I hadn't looked at the back of everything. tj

      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2003
        tj

        I just checked my collection and I got the book wrong. It was a 1st
        edition of Memory Room (1935) that Blanding gave to Erle.

        "To Erle, aloha to one who has contributed many turkey legs to my
        Memory Room...Don Blanding"

        The two writers sure had a turkey connection going!

        As long as I'm talking about my collection, I'll brag about a few
        other items in it (it is the Don Blanding COLLECTOR'S society after
        all!)

        I also have a signed copy of Mostly California given to Hedda Hopper
        by screen actress Adeline De Walt Reynolds (1862-1861) who was known
        as "Grandma" in Hollywood. There is a signed photo of Grandma, and a
        Hedda Hopper column included in the book, as well as a signed
        Blanding photo inscribed to Hedda. Don and Grandma were very good
        friends, and Don dedicated a poem to Hedda in TODAY IS HERE.

        I have a true first edition of The Virgin of Waikiki (1926) which was
        owned by Trem Carr, an early movie producer from Hollywood. I believe
        he was a member of the Wampus Club that Don spoke to.

        There is a first edition of Leaves from a Grass House which was owned
        by Honolulu socialite Sybil Hocking. She ended up marrying a New York
        man and died in a NY sanitarium at the tender age of 26.

        I own a bound book of Don's Fort Pierce newspaper columns which was
        inscribed and given to his mother-in-law in 1941.

        I have a poetry book which was once in Don's personal library and has
        his ornate book plate, which he gave to a friend at some point.

        But enough about my collection, who else has pieces in their
        collection that they want to bring to the "show and tell?" Michael,
        tj, Cadia...