sorry to burst your bubble, but. . .:)

  • Michael Pfeffer
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2003
      TJ,
      I will look at my library and figure the best book for you
      and let you know. As for the bubbles, I am afraid that
      fish dont really make bubbles.

      Even worse, the kinds of corals that DB depicted on the
      coral reef plates dont really look much like a lot of the
      corals we have here. In fact, they look more like corals
      one might find in the Caribbean or Gulf so perhaps his
      time in Florida helped shape his "tropical" thoughts. . .
      ? In any event, I dont imagine that he (or many people at
      all, really)was out there checking out the reef since
      snorkelling hadnt even been invented for the masses yet. I
      think he probably used pictures or examples that were
      brought up for sale by what divers there were as his
      inspiration.

      It opens a whole new thought line about DB, do we know if
      he did any swimming or surfing or fishing or diving at
      all?

      Aloha, Michael

      On Sat, 3 May 2003 19:45:44 -0700 (PDT)
      tjmarkle@... wrote:

      Michael T. Pfeffer
      President& CEO
      Persis Corporation
      808-599-8059
    • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2003
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2003
          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2003
            tj

            Speaking of Erle Stanley Gardner, I own a copy of REST OF THE ROAD
            which was once owned by him. I think they were good friends indeed.
            Erle and Don used to visit their mutual friend Nell Martin in New
            York.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2003
              tj

              I just checked my collection and I got the book wrong. It was a 1st
              edition of Memory Room (1935) that Blanding gave to Erle.

              "To Erle, aloha to one who has contributed many turkey legs to my
              Memory Room...Don Blanding"

              The two writers sure had a turkey connection going!

              As long as I'm talking about my collection, I'll brag about a few
              other items in it (it is the Don Blanding COLLECTOR'S society after
              all!)

              I also have a signed copy of Mostly California given to Hedda Hopper
              by screen actress Adeline De Walt Reynolds (1862-1861) who was known
              as "Grandma" in Hollywood. There is a signed photo of Grandma, and a
              Hedda Hopper column included in the book, as well as a signed
              Blanding photo inscribed to Hedda. Don and Grandma were very good
              friends, and Don dedicated a poem to Hedda in TODAY IS HERE.

              I have a true first edition of The Virgin of Waikiki (1926) which was
              owned by Trem Carr, an early movie producer from Hollywood. I believe
              he was a member of the Wampus Club that Don spoke to.

              There is a first edition of Leaves from a Grass House which was owned
              by Honolulu socialite Sybil Hocking. She ended up marrying a New York
              man and died in a NY sanitarium at the tender age of 26.

              I own a bound book of Don's Fort Pierce newspaper columns which was
              inscribed and given to his mother-in-law in 1941.

              I have a poetry book which was once in Don's personal library and has
              his ornate book plate, which he gave to a friend at some point.

              But enough about my collection, who else has pieces in their
              collection that they want to bring to the "show and tell?" Michael,
              tj, Cadia...