Re: [aloha-donblanding] stuff

  • Michael Pfeffer
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2003
      TJ,
      I understand your disappointment, but cheer up, the
      primary fish (his kihikihi) is a pretty good
      representation of a Moorish Idol and most of the other
      fish in his aquarium design are the right shape, but the
      colors are simplified. However, given that most tropical
      reef fish do not have simple one colored bodies (except
      for yellow tangs and a few others) it makes sense that DB
      and the art students at Vernon would have to decorate
      simpler versions of each fish. They couldnt do litle
      spots and such or they never would have been able to make
      enough to sell. So, I think he was true to the tropical
      fish motif, but the pragmatic nature of trying to mass
      produce something that complex necessitated simplifying
      the coloration process for each fish. Hope that helps,
      Michael

      ps, just photographed my jam jars and most of my limited
      aquarium pieces and will post as well.

      aloha, michael (wekeula)

      On Sat, 3 May 2003 17:13:41 -0700 (PDT)
      tjmarkle@... wrote:
      >Always find new little tidbits, but this one needs more
      >research. I've noticed on several occasions, DB goes to
      >Palm Springs to visit. I've wondered where he might stay
      >while there as no mention of it that I've read so far. I
      >missed an estate auction in Palm Springs by one day of
      >Erle Stanley Gardner's home. So, might that be where he
      >stayed? If you've read the March 5th, 1937 Carmel Pine
      >Cone Special Edition that was dedicated to Blanding, Erle
      >Stanley wrote his tribute to Blanding on page 14. Erle's
      >humorous accounting of DB's character makes me wonder if
      >they didn't visit in the desert of Palm Springs that Erle
      >loved. I'm sure Palm Springs was more of a desert then
      >than it is now. I traveled many an antique store and
      >estate sale business's while in Palm Springs but found
      >nothing of Blanding interest. Oh well... Also, I am a
      >bit disapointed that Blanding might actually paint fish
      >of imagination (aquarium design) and not the real fish!
      >I've been searching books for the three designs I have.
      > I own a 7.5 inch, 8.5 inch and a 9.5 inch with 3
      >different ones. I'll photo them soon and upload... tj

      Michael T. Pfeffer
      President& CEO
      Persis Corporation
      808-599-8059
    • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2003
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2003
          TJ,
          I will look at my library and figure the best book for you
          and let you know. As for the bubbles, I am afraid that
          fish dont really make bubbles.

          Even worse, the kinds of corals that DB depicted on the
          coral reef plates dont really look much like a lot of the
          corals we have here. In fact, they look more like corals
          one might find in the Caribbean or Gulf so perhaps his
          time in Florida helped shape his "tropical" thoughts. . .
          ? In any event, I dont imagine that he (or many people at
          all, really)was out there checking out the reef since
          snorkelling hadnt even been invented for the masses yet. I
          think he probably used pictures or examples that were
          brought up for sale by what divers there were as his
          inspiration.

          It opens a whole new thought line about DB, do we know if
          he did any swimming or surfing or fishing or diving at
          all?

          Aloha, Michael

          On Sat, 3 May 2003 19:45:44 -0700 (PDT)
          tjmarkle@... wrote:

          Michael T. Pfeffer
          President& CEO
          Persis Corporation
          808-599-8059
        • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2003
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2003
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2003
                tj

                Speaking of Erle Stanley Gardner, I own a copy of REST OF THE ROAD
                which was once owned by him. I think they were good friends indeed.
                Erle and Don used to visit their mutual friend Nell Martin in New
                York.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2003
                  tj

                  I just checked my collection and I got the book wrong. It was a 1st
                  edition of Memory Room (1935) that Blanding gave to Erle.

                  "To Erle, aloha to one who has contributed many turkey legs to my
                  Memory Room...Don Blanding"

                  The two writers sure had a turkey connection going!

                  As long as I'm talking about my collection, I'll brag about a few
                  other items in it (it is the Don Blanding COLLECTOR'S society after
                  all!)

                  I also have a signed copy of Mostly California given to Hedda Hopper
                  by screen actress Adeline De Walt Reynolds (1862-1861) who was known
                  as "Grandma" in Hollywood. There is a signed photo of Grandma, and a
                  Hedda Hopper column included in the book, as well as a signed
                  Blanding photo inscribed to Hedda. Don and Grandma were very good
                  friends, and Don dedicated a poem to Hedda in TODAY IS HERE.

                  I have a true first edition of The Virgin of Waikiki (1926) which was
                  owned by Trem Carr, an early movie producer from Hollywood. I believe
                  he was a member of the Wampus Club that Don spoke to.

                  There is a first edition of Leaves from a Grass House which was owned
                  by Honolulu socialite Sybil Hocking. She ended up marrying a New York
                  man and died in a NY sanitarium at the tender age of 26.

                  I own a bound book of Don's Fort Pierce newspaper columns which was
                  inscribed and given to his mother-in-law in 1941.

                  I have a poetry book which was once in Don's personal library and has
                  his ornate book plate, which he gave to a friend at some point.

                  But enough about my collection, who else has pieces in their
                  collection that they want to bring to the "show and tell?" Michael,
                  tj, Cadia...