Re: [aloha-donblanding] aquarium designs

  • Michael Pfeffer
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2003
      TJ,
      If you look at Maxine Nelson's book, you will find at
      least seven different fish, plus various pieces with the
      Kihikihi (Moorish Idol) on it. I also have a 10.5 dinner
      with a Kihikihi on it, S+P and creamer with the orange
      damsel fish on it, and the jam jar with a blue fish I
      havent seen on anything else.

      Maybe we should all photograph what we have in aquarium
      and post it to a folder on the site and we can build a
      database of what kinds of fish there are. I also have the
      16.5 chop, which has a kihikihi on it, and a had (but
      sold) a 14.5 chop that had an orange fish on it.

      As far as I can tell (my dad is a marine biologist and I
      spent many summers catching tropical fish for him), most
      of these fish are made up and it is really only the
      Kihikihi that closely resembles any fish out there. Some
      look like damsels or angels or whatever, but hte colors
      are wrong. I think that art students had a little freedom
      to create.

      I would have loved to see a reverse aquarium piece, I
      wonder how I missed it!!!!

      In other news, I was told by an acquaintance that there
      was an unusual large HF bowl in an antique store. I went
      to see it and WOW, it is a large Jane Bennison Ring Bowl
      in the medium Pink Hawaiian Flowers. Near mint, one tiny
      brown spot where the glaze chipped off, but still, such a
      rarity that I almost lost it when I saw it. Got it for a
      great price as well, which makes it the current find of
      the year for me. . .

      Aloha,
      Michael

      On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:53:43 -0000
      "tjmarkle2003" <tjmarkle@...> wrote:

      Michael T. Pfeffer
      President& CEO
      Persis Corporation
      808-599-8059
    • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2003
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 26, 2003
          The Aquarium design features assorted tropical fish, mostly
          imaginary. I think each piece in the set has a different design.
          The only 2 pieces I have are the low creamer (orange damsel fish) and
          a tea cup (orange damsel with blue stripes and splashes of yellow).

          A few years ago, a 17" chop sold in Portland; I don't recall if I
          photographed it or not. I just know it wasn't in my budget at the
          time!

          ~~C~~
        • Michael Pfeffer
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 26, 2003
            I will take pics of what I have and post them so that we
            can get a list going. I also know of (yes, it's true and
            he WONT sell it to me) a relatively complete set of
            Aquarium here in Honolulu so perhaps I can obtain pics of
            more pieces....

            Aloha to all,
            Michael

            ps, in the Nelson book it talks about the original plates
            for the Rockwell Kent pieces being melted down during the
            war, but does not mention the Blanding plates. Wonder what
            happened to them.. . . .

            Aloha, Michael

            On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:43:19 -0700
            "Dennis Donnal" <ddonnal@...> wrote:

            Michael T. Pfeffer
            President& CEO
            Persis Corporation
            808-599-8059
          • Dennis Donnal
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 26, 2003
              The design on the Aquarium demitasse cup is the same as that on the handled mug.

              Dennis Donnal
              The Aquarium design features assorted tropical fish, mostly
              imaginary. I think each piece in the set has a different design.
              The only 2 pieces I have are the low creamer (orange damsel fish) and
              a tea cup (orange damsel with blue stripes and splashes of yellow).

              A few years ago, a 17" chop sold in Portland; I don't recall if I
              photographed it or not. I just know it wasn't in my budget at the
              time!

              ~~C~~

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor