Re: [aloha-donblanding] aquarium designs

  • Michael Pfeffer
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2003
      TJ,
      If you look at Maxine Nelson's book, you will find at
      least seven different fish, plus various pieces with the
      Kihikihi (Moorish Idol) on it. I also have a 10.5 dinner
      with a Kihikihi on it, S+P and creamer with the orange
      damsel fish on it, and the jam jar with a blue fish I
      havent seen on anything else.

      Maybe we should all photograph what we have in aquarium
      and post it to a folder on the site and we can build a
      database of what kinds of fish there are. I also have the
      16.5 chop, which has a kihikihi on it, and a had (but
      sold) a 14.5 chop that had an orange fish on it.

      As far as I can tell (my dad is a marine biologist and I
      spent many summers catching tropical fish for him), most
      of these fish are made up and it is really only the
      Kihikihi that closely resembles any fish out there. Some
      look like damsels or angels or whatever, but hte colors
      are wrong. I think that art students had a little freedom
      to create.

      I would have loved to see a reverse aquarium piece, I
      wonder how I missed it!!!!

      In other news, I was told by an acquaintance that there
      was an unusual large HF bowl in an antique store. I went
      to see it and WOW, it is a large Jane Bennison Ring Bowl
      in the medium Pink Hawaiian Flowers. Near mint, one tiny
      brown spot where the glaze chipped off, but still, such a
      rarity that I almost lost it when I saw it. Got it for a
      great price as well, which makes it the current find of
      the year for me. . .

      Aloha,
      Michael

      On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:53:43 -0000
      "tjmarkle2003" <tjmarkle@...> wrote:

      Michael T. Pfeffer
      President& CEO
      Persis Corporation
      808-599-8059
    • tjmarkle2003
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25, 2003
        Do we know how many aquarium designs there are? I have 3 different ones
        all on different sized plates. Wekula shows one in his photo display that is
        different than my designs, so thats at least 4. Can we assume there might be
        8 of them that might complete a set? I saw one other one on Ebay that was
        the same fish and design as one of mine but it was reversed and swimming in
        the opposite directed (no comments from the peanut gallery). tj
      • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 26, 2003
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 26, 2003
            The Aquarium design features assorted tropical fish, mostly
            imaginary. I think each piece in the set has a different design.
            The only 2 pieces I have are the low creamer (orange damsel fish) and
            a tea cup (orange damsel with blue stripes and splashes of yellow).

            A few years ago, a 17" chop sold in Portland; I don't recall if I
            photographed it or not. I just know it wasn't in my budget at the
            time!

            ~~C~~
          • Michael Pfeffer
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 26, 2003
              I will take pics of what I have and post them so that we
              can get a list going. I also know of (yes, it's true and
              he WONT sell it to me) a relatively complete set of
              Aquarium here in Honolulu so perhaps I can obtain pics of
              more pieces....

              Aloha to all,
              Michael

              ps, in the Nelson book it talks about the original plates
              for the Rockwell Kent pieces being melted down during the
              war, but does not mention the Blanding plates. Wonder what
              happened to them.. . . .

              Aloha, Michael

              On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:43:19 -0700
              "Dennis Donnal" <ddonnal@...> wrote:

              Michael T. Pfeffer
              President& CEO
              Persis Corporation
              808-599-8059
            • Dennis Donnal
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 26, 2003
                The design on the Aquarium demitasse cup is the same as that on the handled mug.

                Dennis Donnal
                The Aquarium design features assorted tropical fish, mostly
                imaginary. I think each piece in the set has a different design.
                The only 2 pieces I have are the low creamer (orange damsel fish) and
                a tea cup (orange damsel with blue stripes and splashes of yellow).

                A few years ago, a 17" chop sold in Portland; I don't recall if I
                photographed it or not. I just know it wasn't in my budget at the
                time!

                ~~C~~

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor