chance meeting

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17 7:47 PM
      Earlier emails from me said I had met an antique dealer that knew DB and she and her family had traveled to Carmel to stay with Don at his Carmel House.
      Today she, Sally Jo Eaton-Kregger came to my house to see my collection. She brought with her Don's old poi bowl, which was a god awful green outside and yellow inside and on the bottom it said made in China. Sally got it from her mom. She also brought two cast iron oriental ducks that were actually incense burners that she clearly remembered being in Don's Carmel home. She is going to email me her family history and I hope clarify some of her families connection to DB.
      What I do know right now is that her grandparents were John and Florence Eaton and Mitzie Eaton was there daughter. Mitzie spent time in Carmel with Don and did the marionette work at the Forest Theatre in Carmel. Mitzie and the play, are frequently mentioned in the Carmel Pine Cone as I researched it. Sally knew that Mitzie did all of the sewing for the Marionettes and basically created them herself for the play. Sally also believed that one or more of the Marionettes might still be in Seattle Washington area as thats where John Eaton, her grandfather lived and died. She is going to check with family on that one. DB did all the scenery work for this play and so, I asked Sally to ask about that also.
      None of this turned out to be very earthshaking, but it was fun to meet her and who knows what connections she might be able to make after seeing all of my collection. I gave her some photo's of DB to show her mom, who is now 90 and in a rest home. We'll see what happens now.....hopefully, something else comes of this chance meeting. Cadia, if the marionettes are still in Seattle, are you up to going over and looking at them?? tj